NPT tyres - Can't be long 'til we get them, can it?

I think for our uses(and some street uses), there are a few issues:

• You can't air them down for differing terrain
  • Not possible to add side-lugs as it would stop the tyre from flexing
  • Aerodynamically they can't be as good as a regular tyre with that sidewall
  • Cost, most likely
  • Need to run really small rims(which you'd need to buy) that may not cover brake systems

But I am sure for some uses they are great, but a bit specific

My take in these is that tyres, as they stand, are simply the most vulnerable part of any vehicle.

Anything that moves us away from a bladder of air has got to be of interest.

Also this is a first off of the technology, I can see that once this is adopted by the general populous all sorts of modifications would be possible to improve it.

I see no reason why we need a bladder of air at all, I do believe though that there must be a better solution than that :)

For example, the magnetorheological fluid from expensive damper technology could be used to 'inflate' or 'deflate' a tyre by turning on or off an electrical current inside an otherwise flexible rubber tyre, when the current is on, the tyre is 'hard', off it is flexible :)

Hmm, may go patent that :P

You mean a tweel?

Its been around for years, but I never seen them catch on. Tried by military and others:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?start=104&sa=X&hl=en&biw=977&bih=343&tbm=isch&tbnid=Xkqjc0TLQvv6CM:&imgrefurl=http://www.savevid.com/video/the-tweel-airless-car-tire-video.html&docid=fQC4To77I_BpRM&imgurl=http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/4jYcX_D09ig/0.jpg&w=480&h=360&ei=meiNUqPhCIrDhAeb-oDIAg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:4,s:100,i:16&iact=rc&page=15&tbnh=184&tbnw=242&ndsp=8&tx=143&ty=73

I'd say, we stick with our normal tyres for reasons mentioned above, but use them as an insert, with split rims so you have double beadlock at the same time (like the hummer picture). air them down and you drive on the insert.

Daan

I see no reason why we need a bladder of air at all, I do believe though that there must be a better solution than that :)

For example, the magnetorheological fluid from expensive damper technology could be used to 'inflate' or 'deflate' a tyre by turning on or off an electrical current inside an otherwise flexible rubber tyre, when the current is on, the tyre is 'hard', off it is flexible :)

Hmm, may go patent that :P

Magnetorheological fluid is horrendous stuff, got some on my shirt once and it wouldn't come off for ages, then went through an airport scanner in that shirt and it went nuts.

It took me ages to 1. think why it was going nuts and 2. tell them why my shirt was slightly magnetic.

I wouldn't want to fill a tyre with it!

The 'tyre' would be MUCH thicker than existing tyres, but with a hollow core say 2" round, which would allow you to adjust the amount of flex in it.

Not unpuncturable, but pretty close if the 'rubber'(it wouldn't have to be rubber) is 3"+ thick.

The 'tyre' would be MUCH thicker than existing tyres, but with a hollow core say 2" round, which would allow you to adjust the amount of flex in it.

Not unpuncturable, but pretty close if the 'rubber'(it wouldn't have to be rubber) is 3"+ thick.

I think the whole concept of tyres need throwing out of the window and starting again, blank sheet.

Trouble is liability, we've had technology for self driving cars for a couple of years now, they won't allow any changes to the norm as the first accident would be blamed on the new tech.

Not meaning to think that the rubber would be the same density as a regular car tyre, could be much lighter, and synthetic of course, basically the possibility for puncturing it would move right to the core of the tyre, and not rely on the outer skin, or a tube right under the outer skin.

I'm curious how they make the tyre pliable enough to distort over rocks, yet corner properly without deforming.

Would it also distort or wrap up under hard acceleration from standstill? - bad description but the pic demonstrates what I mean

top-fuel-drag-slowmo.jpg

I'm curious how they make the tyre pliable enough to distort over rocks, yet corner properly without deforming.

Would it also distort or wrap up under hard acceleration from standstill? - bad description but the pic demonstrates what I mean

top-fuel-drag-slowmo.jpg

My guess would be that it acts like a spoked wheel, the hub is hanging rather than being pushed up from below. because the combs are under tension this tearing is unlikely to happen.