Walkie Talkie

jameshub

Do you want to be able to talk to other people on the lanes? If so, you'll need CB type ones, which will probably go over your budget.

If not, you could get away with PMR446 radios, which are the low powered ones you can pick up from loads of places. They are much lower powered than CB though, and run on different frequencies so incompatible.

I've got a set of Midland G7s that I picked up cheap from Maplins a while back for when I'm snowboarding - it looks like you can get them for about £50 a pair if you hunt around.

As said PMR is much lower powered than CB (500mw or so vs 4W), and therefore have less range, but the midlands can be boosted by chopping a link inside to transmit at 5W if you happen to live in a country where full power PMR is allowed...

Do you want to be able to talk to other people on the lanes? If so, you'll need CB type ones, which will probably go over your budget.

If not, you could get away with PMR446 radios, which are the low powered ones you can pick up from loads of places. They are much lower powered than CB though, and run on different frequencies so incompatible.

I've got a set of Midland G7s that I picked up cheap from Maplins a while back for when I'm snowboarding - it looks like you can get them for about £50 a pair if you hunt around.

As said PMR is much lower powered than CB (500mw or so vs 4W), and therefore have less range, but the midlands can be boosted by chopping a link inside to transmit at 5W if you happen to live in a country where full power PMR is allowed...

thanks for that. its really just for me an my brother to keep in contact when green laning together I hope we wont be too far apart. I'll take a look at these Midland G7s

thanks for that. its really just for me an my brother to keep in contact when green laning together I hope we wont be too far apart. I'll take a look at these Midland G7s

James

We use Maplin type on our commercial game shoot, without any probs. You get the odd dead spot but we are spread out over a couple of kms over pretty varied terrain and they are perfectly adequate. If anyone is greenlining and this isn't good enough then you are maybe too far apart and need to use your mobile phones, or trackers mate.

Cheers

Barry

Barry,

How well do they work from inside a vehicle though? We use them on a game shoot to however it's always outside a vehicle, I'd expect the vehicle to affect transmission considerably.

This is where a fitted CB system is worth it as you have an external aerial, in fact a number of handheld cb's also have car kits that allow you to quickly attach an external aerial. I've yet to see a PMR kit with that option.

Cheers

Barry

Barry,

How well do they work from inside a vehicle though? We use them on a game shoot to however it's always outside a vehicle, I'd expect the vehicle to affect transmission considerably.

This is where a fitted CB system is worth it as you have an external aerial, in fact a number of handheld cb's also have car kits that allow you to quickly attach an external aerial. I've yet to see a PMR kit with that option.

Cheers

Barry

Fair comment Barry. We are always outside. Its a little different mate.

But if all else fails a mobi is more than useful.

Barry

Here in Aus we use UHF radios instead of CB's lot better and a lot clearer than CB's too

But also pretty much all of the small walker talkies are UHF and therefore work with the car ones

I have bought cheap ones for the kids and when at the beach or camping the kids run around with their radios playing but I can hear everything they are doing in he car.

I also have the UHF hand held for my company car which make it hand too. Manly to talk the road trains to tell you them you are overtaking.

Here in Aus we use UHF radios instead of CB's lot better and a lot clearer than CB's too

But also pretty much all of the small walker talkies are UHF and therefore work with the car ones

I have bought cheap ones for the kids and when at the beach or camping the kids run around with their radios playing but I can hear everything they are doing in he car.

I also have the UHF hand held for my company car which make it hand too. Manly to talk the road trains to tell you them you are overtaking.

Apologies for being a little off topic but I can see why mate. Your road trains are very very long. Coming toward you on a 2 lane blacktop with the rear trailer snaking is a sight to make brown trousers make a comeback!!

Barry