98 Defender 130 Door rebuilding

Hi there,

I'm new to these forums however not new to auto work. I've come into a few issues recently after starting a new engineering job. The boss has a few personal projects lying around that he can't attend regularly as he's quite busy so I've been given the task of rebuilding his 98' LR Defender 130. It wouldn't be so hard except the muppet he had disassemble it just chucked every bolt into a big basin and all the weather seals, lock mechanisms, interior door cards and anything else thats part of the doors, bonnet or roof into a giant box.

Now I usually wouldn't come and ask for help, but I'm completely stuck. I've started to reassemble the doors, I've got as far as reattaching the sheet steel with the interior door handle back to the door frames, (which the frames have been recently powder coated, so I've got the tap and die set out cause all the threads are now gummy coated too), and the window regulators (manual) back in. But short of all this, I'm not even sure if I'm on the right track. I've tried looking over some manuals, but I was wondering if someone whose done this before could brief me on the overall process and in what order. I can upload photos if it would help. The manuals only really detail individual steps as if I had removed the lock and wanted to put it back, but not so much about an entirely exploded door, that needs complete reassembly.

As I said before this wouldn't be that bad a task if the guy who disassembled it all had taken necessary precautions labelling etc, but I can't complain as this is what the new job entails but any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

If anyone knows good sources for this kind of information and parts lists, that would be great. My boss got a hell of alot of the rust out after the guy he employed disassembled everything, but I still need to get some bolts and stuff and probably a few body parts.

Cheers

Hello there.

Difficult but not impossible task.

Check out the Technical Archive as there is a mass of information there, also there should be eaither copies or links to all the parts manuals etc you'll need.

I'd suggest looking at the parts manual first, that should give you the idea of what parts you need and where they go.

Off the top of my head the steps are...

Handle in

window slides and packers in

latch mechanism in

hook up handle to latch mechanism

window in (tight fit, needs some wiggling and patience)

winder mechanism place in door and attach rollers to window bottom

winder mechanism holding plate/inner door plate (making sure the inner door opener rod is in place)

you can do some steps before others, but like I said, best check out the parts manual for a good overview...

Mav

As said, once the skin is on, you need to fit the glazing tracks and their plastic spacer channels and aluminium shim strips, then the outer handle, latch mechanism and interior locking lever, with all of their linkages, before sliding the glass into the channels. To do this, the bottom ends of the channels need to be left unscrewed. Once the glass has been slid up to the closed position, then you can finish screwing the channels into the lower part of the door, then you can fit the regulator and its mounting panel. Remember that the door has a weather sheet before fitting the door cards - it may have been lost or thrown away, but it needs to be there to reduce drafts and keep water out of the card apertures, which could drip inside the cab. It's just thick plastic sheet with holes cut for the interior door lock and handle and the window winder, originally stuck to the door frame with mastik but duct tape would work well enough. The tricky bit will be the linkages for the four lock parts (interior and exterior handles, locking plunger and the lock mechanism), but once they're in place, I'm sure you'll be able to see how the links then fit. Make sure you use the neoprene gaskets between the lock mechanisms and frames and the plastic shims at the ends of the exterior handles, and use plenty of copper grease on the handles' bolts.

Thanks for your replies guys! I'm gonna print off these replies take them in with me to help me with the reassembly I've got some blow up diagrams (sort of) of the inside of the doors from the tech archives that should help too, also photocopied the whole of chapter 12 in the related haynes manual for the truck so I hope it helps. I got a deadline for this so I'm gonna be on it for as long as I can
I live in Auckland, NZ theres a couple of places around but I dunno who would be willing to show me a door in pieces unless I pay money haha

Cheers guys.