3.9 V8. Problem ?

smallfry

Would very much doubt its the head gasket, usually its only cyl. 1,2,7,8 to be affected as they are next to the water passages at the end of the block.

Something happened to my mates 3.9 this week, lost all water and he couldn't work out why it wouldn't crank over. I pulled the plugs out and cyl, 1+2 were full to the brim of water.

I'd suspect either a cracked head or block problems.

Something happened to my mates 3.9 this week, lost all water and he couldn't work out why it wouldn't crank over. I pulled the plugs out and cyl, 1+2 were full to the brim of water.

I'd suspect either a cracked head or block problems.

1 AND 2 ? At the same time ? Thats really odd.............................Maybe he allowed the coolant to get low ?

Is head cracking also a problem nowadays then ? Thought it was only the liners/blocks on the big bore engines. I have a lot of experience with the 3.5s before I gave it all up a long time ago, so this is new to me..................

I was surprised to see two cylinders full, cylinder 2 was full to the brim and pouring out when the plug was removed, prior to that it was running sweet. I've run a 4.2 and two 4.6's with not a single problem, unfortunately my dad's p38 started losing water and once we took the heads off it was apparent 3 cylinders had been steam cleaned.... Ended up doing a rebuild with a top hat block which is working a treat.

Not sure about the 3.9v8's but there are plenty of cheap second hand engines on eBay etc. if it is knackard.