200Tdi fuel system bleeding

Hi all - happy new year,

Decided to try and start the new year on a high - starting the Ibex for the first time!

Over the last couple of days I've got the electrics on line successfully so time to try and start the old girl. Can't remember when she last run but its going to be over 8 years. stuck 20l of fuel in the tank and blead the system through using the lift pump manually, filled the filter bleeding air out as I went then blead the delivery pipe down to the injector pump. I then cracked all the injector pipes to bring fuel up to the injectors, then turned the truck over in 10 second bursts expecting to find diesel sprayed over the engine bay - no such luck. Then went back through the bleeding process process using the lift pump a number of times between cranking 5 or 6 times. I'm prety sure I've got diesel right up to the pump air free but can't understand why I can't get diesel up to the injectors. I understand that the injector pump should be self priming so don't believe there is anything else I can "crack" to bleed air out of.

In installing the engine in the Ibex I've retained the standard tank and fuel pipework, replaced the lift pump and the cam belt.

I've looked through the technical archive and this forum but can't find any advice about bringing a dry fuel system back to life.

Any advice?

Thanks

Rob

Sorry should have said, as far as I can tell the solenoid is working, I have pulled the terminal off and can hear it click when I put power on it.

Cheers Lewis.

But do you have 12v at the solenoid while cranking? Some wires only do so with ignition on and go dead on crank.

But do you have 12v at the solenoid while cranking? Some wires only do so with ignition on and go dead on crank.

I haven't checked but it's using what is basically a 300tdi loom, will make sure after lunch.

I have now also had the solenoid valve out and using the priming pump have pumped diesel out that port, while replacing the solenoid and using the priming pump to make sure all air was out I also pumped fuel out the tank return pipe. Should I be able to do this and with the solenoid not energised?

Having put back together tried more cranking to pump fuel up the injector pipes but to no avail not even a hint of disiesel!

Frustrated of Priddy.

I've had experience of an old-style mechanical lift-pump where the spring/arm-that-engages-with-the-camshaft had fallen off. You could wiggle the manual primer as much as you liked, and it _looked_ like it was producing flow - but by the time you ran round and tried the starter the fuel had slithered back down the pipe (lift-pump non-return valves are a joke) and because cranking wasn't actually operating the lift-pump the engine wouldn't start.

Ok lads we have engine start, bit lumpy at idle but she started good as gold when I put a permanent live on the starter solenoid. Now just need to figure why I loose the live to the solenoid when it's cranking when it's using a standard 300tdi loom.

Thanks for the pointers lads just assumed that the standard loom would provide the right supply.