Chroming my balls.

Nigelw

A lot of the guys over here are scared of getting their precious Defenders dirty let alone driving them hard enough to break something :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

The select few I would call off roaders have had much the same as you only taring off the brake lines and gauging troughs in the road ways, now have 8 sets of balls to take over, hope we get a bulk discount :rolleyes:

As

D2 front axle swap is the sure fire solution but is not without it's problems, wider axle for starters and different stud PCD, plus there are many challenge vehicles using rover axle, are they breaking them?

As I just posted on the 'replacement parts continuing problems' thread, most here would be highly unlikely to break genuine swivel balls and are more likely to shear the flange bolts off before any shock loadings were severe enough to damage the balls themselves. If anyone is having issues with the flange bolts working loose or stretching, then a solution would be to fit a brace with a third swivel bearing as Maxidrive and Tibus supplied with their bolt on Portal housings. If there were enough interest in these, perhaps Simon could be persuaded to knock out a few sets?

A third king pin would be good. It doesn't have to be massively precise on tolerance either, as long as it stops the ball joints flex going critical?

I actually use a 3/4" rose joint for the third kingpin bearing on WildFing. Series bottom swivel pins are pressed in so I just had new ones made that were twice as long.The rose joint screws into a short hollow bar with a r/h/thread on one end and a L/h/thread on the other to give some preload, like an adjustable track rod.

Taking a slightly different angle on this problem, the chrome removal problem could be avoided by using the teflon balls as a base; sandblast the coating off, then chrome them. This is one of the things that went through my mind when questioning the strength of teflon balls vs. the chrome balls on the parts breaking thread. I do remember someone saying that chroming is not allowed anymore in the uk, which is why landrover went teflon. is this true?

Taking a slightly different angle on this problem, the chrome removal problem could be avoided by using the teflon balls as a base; sandblast the coating off, then chrome them. This is one of the things that went through my mind when questioning the strength of teflon balls vs. the chrome balls on the parts breaking thread. I do remember someone saying that chroming is not allowed anymore in the uk, which is why landrover went teflon. is this true?

I'm just hypothesising now but the base diameter of the chrome balls may be slightly smaller than the Teflon ones. The triple chroming process probably adds a bit of thickness, and if you chrome a Teflon ball maybe it would end up too large for the seal to wipe effectively.

Still have not seen anyone from a box shifting company commenting in defence of some the issues raised here, which is a poor sign for public relations, and brand longevity (but what do I know).

I would have thought (naively maybe) that if anyone slags off your brand there would be someone along sharpish to investigate the problem, comment and reassure those concerned.

Unless I'm mistaken: there are three pattern part suppliers (bearmach, britpart, allmakes) and they don't manufacture anything in house, it is all contracted out / via supplier contract arrangements?

And they all are generally landrover parts supply only ?? (think bearmach do jag too).... surely there must be someone from their PR / sales departments that trawls through the what 4 or 5 landrover forums protecting their brands and product lines?

I am not one to knock Land Rover (given I have one ... have no intention of parting with it ... or I wouldn't be here)... but even they surely have some brand concerns when the badge on the front of a group of vehicles with a seriously damaged swivel is theirs ... even they should be asking questions and applying some leverage to the brands supply chains and pattern parts companies. If recalls are required, can you imagine how many vehicles may be affected... how do you determine which may be the suspect vehicle components.... and who's they actually are of the three rebranders + LR.

Second a motion to merge the threads please.

Robert,

I agree with you and tbh am quite surprised that a Britpart don't ever appear to fight the Sh*tpart nickname. Maybe their legal advisors recommend to refrain from entering into such conversations.

It's a pretty big ****ing problem when your swivel ball shears off I can tell you and I'd like to think that maybe just maybe this can be the start of some raised awareness.

My friend with the Sahara desert failure has today contacted bearmach for an update after I told him we were having discussions on LR4x4

I assume there is one supplier for swivel balls and i assume they supply Land Rover genuine parts too, can't see why they wouldn't, but they have dropped a massive rubbish with the quality of the material

I am relieved to read that chrome balls tend to deform rather than shear, this means I am much less likely to have problems now I have gone back to chrome units

It also has to be said that most failures if not all will be off road

And many on modified vehicles

Both circumstances open up all nature of grey areas regards how much to blame the part was or whether it was simply overloaded just like if an axle casing snapped in two

If we had failures on the road then perhaps the problem would be more well known

I would particularly like a 'master thread' to be drawn up at least so that a google search would have a chance of finding something, currently searching for 'swivel ball broken' etc brings up no appropriate results.

Cheers