Battery Discharge with National Luna

headhunter

Some advice please.

My batteries keep discharging over a week to ten days.

The set up is as follows.

National Luna split charge system with monitor.

3 batteries

No1 Exide Maxxima 55 amphere (main/starter) connected to starter, national luna + winch via isolator switch.

No2 Exide Maxxima 55 amphere connected to national luna and to third battery, plus inverter, amplifier etc.

No3 Delta 110 amphere seated under drivers seat connected to No2 both positive and negative. Connected to socket for fridge.

Today all three batteries were deeply discharged and the national luna low battery alarm was beeping.

I have checked individually for ancillary ampere drain.

0.04 from No1 to central locking

0.02 from No2 to cd changer.

0.00 from No3

No drain to starter or inverter.

In fact the only significant drain was from both No1 and No2 batteries to the national luna split charger. It was around 0.50 to 0.70 amperes on first reading, but then dropped if I kept the meter connected to around 0.30.

If I disconnected the meter and then tried again it was back up to the original figure.

So it appears that the drain is from the split charge system, amounting to 1 to 1.5 amps which given 220 amperes battery capacity overall would flatten my system in a week to ten days.

Any idea what is happening?

Are the batteries charging and discharging each other.

Should I dispense with the the national luna split charge system and fit an xcharge relay or 2 from Simon?

Are there any other alternatives?

Any help appreciated.

John

I have a national luna split charge system and battery monitor in my defender with a 100ah main battery and 2 100ah aux batteries. I have a number of times left the vehicle for 2 to 3 months and have not come back to any significantly discharged batteries.

you could start at the fuse box and extract fuses until you find the culpret for your 0.7amp drain...

There are only two options really. Either the split charge is faulty or the batteries are shagged.

I would first, as suggested above, disconnect the Luna from all the batteries and measure the voltage before and after leaving it for a few days.

Do the same with it connected.

If the batteries are more discharged with it connected, the Luna is the problem, if not, the batteries.

Before chucking the batteries (assuming that were the result), repeat the experiment with the batteries completly disconnected. If they self-discharge then I'd be inclined to dump them!

Si

There are only two options really. Either the split charge is faulty or the batteries are shagged.

I would first, as suggested above, disconnect the Luna from all the batteries and measure the voltage before and after leaving it for a few days.

Do the same with it connected.

If the batteries are more discharged with it connected, the Luna is the problem, if not, the batteries.

Before chucking the batteries (assuming that were the result), repeat the experiment with the batteries completly disconnected. If they self-discharge then I'd be inclined to dump them!

Si

Simon, thanks for your usual susccinct reply.

I will follow your advice and see what transpires :ph34r:

John

I have the national luna ones fitted to some vans of mine, but the solenoids are failing, so started using the swiss made IBS ones from TBR. same price,similar looking but a relay instead of a solenoid. I find them better.

www.ibs-tech.ch