What are the minimum modifications for off road shenaningans?

Mongrel

But I bet you didn't do it again!

if that was aimed at me, then the steering guard gets clouted regularly enough to be worth its weight in gold.most of the offroading id do is punch hunts and they can be hard on a truck and as the time limit is quite tight im usually in a hurry :-P

as the time limit is quite tight im usually in a hurry :-P

So what you're saying is you drive into things 'cos you're in a hurry? If you armour the vehicle against every possible bump you end up adding a ton of weight and spending a ton of money.

The OP isn't about to go into competition so he can take it slow & steady and look before he leaps, if he finds later he keeps driving into things then maybe investing in protection is worth it, but it could equally be money down the drain.

But Fridge is right. An average steering guard weighs a shed load. Every kilo you add to the vehicle weight makes it less effective on and off road... Find out why you keep hitting stuff. Then if it truly can't be avoided, look for protection. A drop arm can be protected with a simple tube or plate and everyone and their aunt is producing reasonable HD drag links.

The best thing about a steering guard is the protection it offers to the bottom pulley from debris

Now my wife's 'new' discovery has a steering guard because she has some rather excessive avoidance techniques on the narrow lanes down our way - same as she has pretty much all the under body protection it's possible to fit on a vehicle. I would have bought her a Husky or a Bloodhound if they were available cheap on the open market

Off road driving is all about learning from your mistakes - whereas my wife's driving is all about denying her mistakes

John is good

Go on to the NPTC/C&G website and look for the assessment centres in your area. Ring then up and ask for details of local NPTC instructors. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll ask HQ (I'm an Assessor for them).

I don't know your area well - sorry

If you are down in Somerset, once we have dried out, give me a shout and I'll sort out a days training for the cost of the TPL (£15) and a pub lunch

John is running an open day this weekend, I'm going to pop down for a chat.

Somerset's not so far and certainly viable when things warm up, I may well do a long weekend and take you up on that extremely generour offer when the weather improves, appreciated, thanks.

I'm a believer in what goes around, comes around. If I help you out, you'll hopefully pass that on.

That you can count on. In another hobby, I had quite a few helping hands in the early days. I now run a small syndicate that I set up off my own back and intiative that gives other people the chance to put the theory into practice.

I like to think that I have put back in as much, and then some, as I got out of it, but now I do it beacuse it gives me a sense of well being and I enjoy meeting similarily minded people.

It's a good thing you have the right equipment for traversing causeways, although you might want to look at building an amphibious off roader!

Sorry for the delay in answering, I've been away to drier parts this weekend.

It's only in time like this when you realise just how puny the wading depth of even a modified 4x4 actually is; and just how much work there is to do after even short periods of repeated wading.

Watching the DUKW and the S&R Hagglund has been an eye opener; as well as the modified tracked dumper. Of the three though the DUKW is the only truly amphibious motor. What we could do with is a an old Volvo BV202/4/6 as they float better than the later Hagglunds. A chap brought one to Seven Sisters about 10 years back, hell of a bit of kit!

There are a lot of good answers on here, and you seem to be thinking right yourself by looking at club events.

I second the comments about the priority being making sure the maintenance is up to date and up to scratch, followed by training. A sensible set of tyres would be the first mod - ATs are perfect for laning and MTs for play sites or trialling, but nothing extreme as road handling and safety are compromised by aggressive tyres.

The big thing to look at when observing or riding along at clubs is how driver skill trumps vehicle accessories every time. Many people fit all sorts of expensive kit which is not only of no use, but hinders them - extra weight from un-necessary winches, roll cages and so on, instability from unwarranted suspension lifts and loss of traction from oversized tyres are all classic, as is the wheel spinning and mud slinging of uprated engines with too much torque for the conditions. See who gets through the tricky sections and study how they did it - chances are they'll be driving the least modified vehicles (unless you're watching comp safari or winch challenges). That said, diff guards and steering protection are sensible precautions.

as is the wheel spinning and mud slinging of uprated engines with too much torque for the conditions

You were doing so well up to that daft suggestion - torque is controlled by the driver, and unless some poor compromise has been made like an overly aggressive clutch or gearing, you can tread just as gently with 500lb/ft on tap as 100.

The other thing to bear in mind is who owned the vehicle before you. When you buy a motor, unless you knew it's previous owner like BFF; then you need to start at one end and replace everything and anything that is dubious; as well as budgeting for future replacements, preferably as upgrades.

Best vehicle to start off roading in is a 2.25 Diesel 109 Series 3 on worn Avon Range Masters. No PS, limited grip, little grunt, a big old overhang and lock like an oil tanker in the Straits of Hormuz. Then work on the theory that you need to improve before you get spendy

I think it should be compulsory.

I've got mud tyres already fitted, I've fitted a pin tow bar, jate rings, a bridle and have a recovery strop inbound...I will get around to diff covers, but not yet, because I need to save my money for diesel and fees for this weekends fun and games!

Pay and play session No.2 on Sunday! :D

Then I can assess again. I've also discovered how easy it is to persuade others to have a go! I put up a little vid of my trundle around a couple of weeks ago (the firebreather did a 30 minute running commentary which I condensed to 5 minutes of her squeaking! :rofl: ) Off the back of it one guy has bought some muds and is planning to join me on Sunday, and another friend who used to do quite a bit apparently has decided to buy another 4x4. He only stopped as his mate moved away and he had nobody to go out with!

Years back when I was living in Derbyshire, I used to help out as a marshal at Richard Walsh's events. Payment was a breakfast bap, coffee and a burger but the fun of watching folk doing daft stuff was worth every moment wading up to your chest in freezing water dragging some fool out.... My first taste of P&P. First time I drove a Gamma Goat as well...

The big thing to look at when observing or riding along at clubs is how driver skill trumps vehicle accessories every time. Many people fit all sorts of expensive kit which is not only of no use, but hinders them - extra weight from un-necessary winches, roll cages and so on,

Otherwise known as "all the gear and no idea" :)

You were doing so well up to that daft suggestion - torque is controlled by the driver, and unless some poor compromise has been made like an overly aggressive clutch or gearing, you can tread just as gently with 500lb/ft on tap as 100.

You know what I meant, Fridge - I'm talking about the folk who think they have to tune a vehicle for laning or fit a 5l V8 for RTV trials; the sort that think all off roading is meat to look like comp safari.