Bonnet Vent

Cynic-al

So this is just a bit of fun, we've bought a new 3D printer at work so the reprap has gone to the eBay of shame! I wanted to print something unimportant as a trial so came up with this... and seeing as you lot love a gadget why not share :)

Modelled on CAD

RMedium_zpsf93764e2.jpg

Send it to print, it prints in 28 micron layers of resin and it puts down a wax as a support medium. The bright white is the plastic and the lighter white is the wax. The underside is curved to match the bonnet so if you look closely at the top and bottom of the R it's just starting to put the plastic down for that.

433BA9F1-9CB0-4057-B19E-320E1194640A_zps

You end up with this which you have to de-wax. I asked it to print in matt as I want to paint it so it puts a layer of support material on every surface. A Gloss finish is stronger and doesn't need the support material but can of course only be applied to surfaces that don't need supporting!

B2706FAA-50B1-4A73-8101-E2AA498D5B0D_zps

Finished part; Getting the wax out of the vents was a real pain so they might be replaced with mesh as I want to put 'RR' on either side ;)

79EBDE5D-17BC-4ADD-B210-B68B51ED428D_zps

CA8852F4-0A3B-4C48-A8CF-BA7336927219_zps

I was trying to match this writing style, I will try to colour match it with spray paint.

8F807CF6-E0F4-4F04-9FBE-13C6872200A5_zps

and well... you get the idea ;)

00E50332-CA1C-42F4-8C2B-6492DB9DE227_zps

I honestly don't know, although I run a V8 overheating is not something I've ever had a problem with! I was just tarting around with the machine! I was more concerned about the fan pushing water through the vents and breaking the grill bit off :closedeyes: I always assumed people did it to let the heat out whilst your idling and there is little airflow. I assume whilst your driving there is enough air flow to get the warm air out and under the car.

Never thought about doing V8, I picked the R as it was easy to make hollow.