MOT Fail on Emissions on New 4.6 & Longlife SS Exhaust

Fatboy

Gents,

• Its a top hatted rebuilt Rover V8 4.6.
  • Tubular stainless steel, wrapped exhaust manifolds onto Longlife built stainless steel system.
  • Llambda sensor mounted on the single pipe after the Y join.
  • Megasquirt V29 with Nige's BASE 4.6 Map.
  • PWM blanked off.
  • Engine was bedded in as per recommendations (20mins above 2,000rpm).

Took it for its first MOT on a trialer and there were a couple of niggles that I've now sorted but the biggest issue is it failed on emissions after the 2nd high idle. That is all it says on the ticket so I dont have any more details.

I'm heading back for a retest in the morning but I'm not sure if I should change any of the Megasquirt settings or just confirm the appointment and drive it there in a spirited fashion to make sure it is well warmed up etc.(Insurance commenced yesterday).

At the present time, I dont really want to start datalogging and fettling until I've got an MOT and I'm 100% road legal as it will not be a quick process until I've fumbled my way round MS.

Any advise would be seriously welcomed...!

Thanks, DC

Knowing nothing about MS (yet) my comments are probably rubbish.

Is it possible to get a "lean" map?

Is the water temperature reading received by the computer looking real?

If it was the first high idle I'd not be worried, that it was the second worries me, as I'd expect that to be better.

It's not quite as simple as being rich or lean, they are measuring different gas contents, so it's possible to have it tuned beautifully and still fail the emissions test. The emissions targets depend on the year of the vehicle, so knowing what you're aiming for will also help.

This may or may not help you do some tweaking:

airfuel.jpg

I didnt know MOT stations actually tested your emissions?!

every time i go in they warm the temp probe up in the kettle (special emissions warming kettle)

then stick the gas probe up a brand new volvo handily parked by the doors...

would it not be easier to go to a different test station?

My old 4.6 was only ever tested for the hydrocarbons percent at tickover... As was old vehocle etc. was target below 3%.

I have a map which was set lean at tickover and surrounding cells for the MOT, but generally having a map that Tunerstudio had shaped from driving and a review of the cells got it under 3% anyways. (I set the AFR slightly rich of the 14.7 ideal on the tickover cells, let Tunerstudio set the cells, adjusted to smooth out and then set Tunerstudio to leave the area alone thereafter.)