Quality 300tdi water pump?

My original waterpump did 100,000 miles before the seals went and started weeping (bearing were still good).

Stupidly I replaced it with a no name pump from the local parts emporium, the bearings failed in under 500 miles.

I then specified a "genuine" pump from the supplier, I received a Quinton Hazell pump, which I assumed to be of good quality. The bearing in this pump have now failed in under a year and 8000 miles - the familiar 300tdi squawk has just started, popped the bonnet and it was coming from the pump, took the belt off and sure enough there is play in the bearings.

Can anyone recommend a quality waterpump that I will not have to change in 6 months time - are Airtex any good?

I have bought a genuine pump today after the pattern one started squealing within a couple of thousand miles - I'm building the engine back up after rebuild and found the best part of 1mm lateral play in the bearings, and it only did about 10k in all. I'll pull the pattern one apart to see if I can fit some good bearings, but I'm not optimistic.

Incidentally, the fan idler in the timing cover also suffers bearing wear and can squeal. The bearings are non-standard and are incorporated in the idler shaft, and the unit is not available separately - you have to buy a complete front cover and shaft assembly from LR at £161+VAT. I'm having a new flange and shaft made up by an engineering shop to take standard needle bearings (42mm OD, 17mm wide). The cost of the new shaft and flange and the widening of the bearing seats in the timing cover is £55, so with the new NSK bearings, I'm expecting to pay about £70 (+VAT), which is a big saving this time around and will be a huge saving the next time.

I ordered an Airtex, along with P gasket, supposedly an OEM, hopefully last longer than the QH!

100000 miles seems to be the service limit on this 300tdi, it ran perfectly with nothing other than cambelt change until it ticked over 100k, since then in the last 10k it has needed replacement alternator, new front cover with fan bearing, waterpump, tensioner, thermostat, viscous unit, front crank seal and now just noticed the lift pump is leaking diesel from the underside.