EGR Valve Removal

discodave

Hello All, I,ve got a blanking plate and a new air intake hose for my 300tdi and started to remove the egr valve, anyone got any tips on how to remove the alan screws that hold the thing on the exhaust manifold. i've tried a normal alan key but i think it's gonna break before anything moves, i've also got a set of socket alan screws but cant get them in for the egr valve in the way. any ideas? B)

Hello All, I,ve got a blanking plate and a new air intake hose for my 300tdi and started to remove the egr valve, anyone got any tips on how to remove the alan screws that hold the thing on the exhaust manifold. i've tried a normal alan key but i think it's gonna break before anything moves, i've also got a set of socket alan screws but cant get them in for the egr valve in the way. any ideas? B)

I had a similar problem with my TD5, plenty of WD40 and a big hammer, it took a while but it worked

I did the very same thing to my wifes Disco last week and I had no prob's with the alen key bolts. Her Disco is a 1997. Here's a write up. EGR Removal.

I can say, that the removal of the EGR carp has made a significant difference in the vehicles response, when the pedal is pushed closer to the floor. :D

It did smoke a little extra for a few days, but now it appears to have settled down.

As for fuel economy, well I haven't had the time to figure it out, but I would expect it to atleast stay in the same range. (If the old girl doesn't change her driving habits, thanks to the new response of the motor)

Todd.

I had to give it loads of WD40 over a number of days and a fair bit of heat from a small blow torch and then a lot of effort with the allan keys - it gave eventually and gave a really loud crack like I'd buggered the whole engine...

Have fun! ;-)

The flange on the EGR value is quite thick so if the bolts are really stuck and/or the heads are knackered you can get away with cutting the bolt heads off and fitting a blanking plate and gasket to the remains of the bolts with a couple of nuts and spring washers. Getting to the bolts is bit fiddly but not too difficult with a Junior hacksaw and lots of swearing :D

I did this as a temporary measure about a year and a half ago meaing to drill the bolt remains out and re-tap the holes but I never got round to it. No problem at all so far -- probably just leave it is as it is now ;)

thanks for the advice. junior hacksaw and lots of swearing sounds right up my street but i started the job the other day and when i offered up the new top hose first i found that it was around two inches too short. :( supplied by mistake but it's currently in the post to be changed for the correct one so i'm still awaiting bits. i've disconected the electrics and vacuum pipe for the time being and it seems ok til i can remove it once and for all. B)