How do you cover your trailer

Ian Barrett

Guys,

I have a 6x4 trailer I use for ferrying things to the tip etc.

Its a fixed side trailer with a drop / removable back and the sides are approx 2ft deep

I used to keep this tucked under a tree with some old corrugated roofing panels on top and a tyre on top of them to hold them down.

But I moved in October to a house where the only place I can store the trailer is by the front gate so I can't have it look like i gypsy camp there.

I bought a 3m x 3m heavy duty tarp with brass eyelets from the local military surplus place to cover it but it seems to take me 1/2 hr to unwrap or wrap it every time I want to use it and it getting on my flaming nerves.

Basically, I'm throwing the cover over the trailer and have a rope through all the eyelets which I then pull tight. This pulls the cover under the trailer and basically wraps it up.

Then I wind the rope just under the top lip, around the trailer a couple of times, .

Then to stop it flapping like mad when it gets windy I wind the rope a couple of times under the trailer then over the top then tie the rope off to the A frame.

This is probably all overkill but its getting on my nerves to the point I'm starting to think I should just get a posher version of the corrugated roof panels - something like a piece of waterproof ply to plonk on the top.

But the tarp is new and I'm buggered if its going to beat me.

So how do you cover your trailer?

Thanks for your help.

IanB

I have a 'tip trailer', it's one of those cheap 600kg max galv things. I bought a patio table cover at a car boot sale, dumped the string and replaced it with elastic cord. It takes 2 minutes to cover - I also use it to cover loads. I follow the 'Indian sub-continent' loading technique with it, so a cover is useful...

I keep my other two trailers in a barn down the road....

Why bother covering it in the first place? Most trailers ever built live outside, none of my 3 ever have a cover on them, though I'd been toying with the idea of making something to completely cover the hydraulic pump and the battery on the tipper, as I'm not convinced water dripping on the battery doesn't cause slow self-discharge.

If you really want to cover it when not in use then a piece of marine ply with a lip made out of 1x2 timber around the edge is one option (ratchet strap over the middle to keep it there) or build a frame out of lightweight timber or steel and cover it with a tarp, stapling and battens on the tarp around the edges.

David, I'm sure you aren't meant to carry people in a trailer in Western Europe ;)

I cover the trailer because the sides are made from varnished softwood.

The bottom is marine ply so that isn't such a concern.

That and the fact you can see it through the hedge at this time of year and I don't want it to be quite so obvious from the road.

I'll erect a small fence to hide it from the road but that is going to be way down my To Do list. I have a workshop and a triple garage to build before that.

You could get a cover made specially for it, proper waterproof jobby with a 4" fold down edge sewn up at the corners, with eyelets and an elastic cord...that's what a friend has for his trailer for carrying his engine around in, although if it's to live ouside it needs a few battens underneath to stop too big a puddle forming.

I rent a lock up garage to keep mine in, although being only small its heavy duty and fully galvanised, I prefer it to be out of the weather and also away from prying eyes who might want to make better use of it elsewhere.

Garage is handy for storing other stuff in too, like several engines and gearboxes and doors that I dont need :blink:

I was sick of tripping over the kids sandpit last year so put the small shed on stilts (made of pallets), put the sandpit on wheels and wheeled it underneath.

If you got a small shed that was a bit bigger than the trailer and built it with the floor just above trailer height but the walls down to ground level but open at one end to get the trailer out, you could have a tool store without taking up much more space than the trailer does now.