MS ECU Map Sensor

need4speed

Not sure what the benefits of that would be? You still have to run wires back instead of a tube, and you are placing a sensor somewhere hot, oily and full of vibration when it could stay cool, clean and snug in its enclosure?

People have done it, Microsquirt does this as standard (to keep ECU size down). You have two options:

- Pick a sensor that has the same response curve as standard Megasquirt ones (the std one is MPX250, there is a 300 or possibly higher that's used for high-boost applications that's an option in the firmware too)

- Pick whatever you want & change the response curve data in the firmware to suit (more faff but quite doable)

Quite a few cars have inlet-mounted MAP sensors, TD4 freebie has one, and they're not renowned for going wrong... but I don't really know what you'd gain either? Bruce & Al tested the MS sensor for lag using some stupid length of tube (like a 50m reel!) and found it to be negligible. It's more common to add in some lag/smoothing by sticking a filter in line to smooth out sharp spikes in MAP readings on vehicles with lumpy cams.

Quite a few cars have inlet-mounted MAP sensors, TD4 freebie has one, and they're not renowned for going wrong... but I don't really know what you'd gain either? Bruce & Al tested the MS sensor for lag using some stupid length of tube (like a 50m reel!) and found it to be negligible. It's more common to add in some lag/smoothing by sticking a filter in line to smooth out sharp spikes in MAP readings on vehicles with lumpy cams.

I did this on my carburettored Alpine; because it uses DCOE Webbers - which is essentially four carburettors for four cylinders - I used an old fuel filter for the plenum, just before the Megajolt,

Cheers Charlie

I can imagine that they could produce robust MAP sensors. They have been producing good MAP sensors for other cars, but it seems that also other sensors are produced which could withstand a RV8 :wacko: (temperature, TPS, etc).

I understand that the regular MS MAP sensor is not robust enough, but the system would be much cleaner in mine opinion when the MAP is on the engine iso in the MS ECU. Why have all the sensors on the engine exept the MAP?

I can imagine that they could produce robust MAP sensors. They have been producing good MAP sensors for other cars, but it seems that also other sensors are produced which could withstand a RV8 :wacko: (temperature, TPS, etc).

I understand that the regular MS MAP sensor is not robust enough, but the system would be much cleaner in mine opinion when the MAP is on the engine iso in the MS ECU. Why have all the sensors on the engine exept the MAP?

You can you would just have to calibrate MS for the sensor. All the ones I have seen are on the fire wall not the actual engine, so I suspect they dont like vibration. There is a tidy little bosch on that I have seen in various Toyotas (7AFE, 4AFE etc).

I think the designers logic would have been along the lines of: if it doesnt have to be in a nasty environment we wont put it in one