V8 Camshaft

Hi, this is my first question on this forum so apologies if it's been covered previously (I couldn't find anything).

I have a bog standard 3.5 V8 in a 110 and suspect the camshaft is worn so I'm planning to replace it along with the tappets etc. I'd like a bit more power because I've put a Discovery transfer box in and I'm trying to decide which camshaft to put in. Is it better to stick with the standard one or upgrade to a fast road cam? Would the fast road cam mean I lose the flexibility and smoothness?

Alternatively, I've head that a 3.9 cam will fit and adds a bit of power/torque.

I'm not panning to do any other engine mods as I would prefer to keep it as standard as possible.

Thanks

Why not upgrade to a larger capacity v8 like a 3.9,4.0,4.2or 4.6. More power and torque which means it doesn't need to be pushed as hard to make the same power as from a smaller engine.

I converted my 110 from 300Tdi to a 4.2V8 as told anything under 3.9 is a little underpowered, my average mpg was 8-14.and went really well and was great off road on tick over also went even better with the turbo on but mpg went to 6-10 and i couldn't be bothered anymore.

I also ran a 4.6 P38 last summer on petrol and I averaged 22 mpg on a 120 mile run, which was more than a mates 3.5 v8 110 on lpg which averaged the 19mpg on the same run.

Even a 3.5 in good health should be OK for a 110, although the larger blocks will add useful torque. I ran a 3.9 in the 109 and it was more than nippy enough. EFI makes a big difference to perkiness and MPG. Old carbed 3.5's in Defenders were de-tuned quite a lot.

I wouldn't stick with the OE cam and I wouldn't go with a fast road cam, as you might miss the torque? But having said that, I doubt a wild cam will have less low down torque than a really worn OE cam :)

I fitted a Piper "Torque Max" as I wanted a decent cam without needing modification. My 3.5 RV8 is automatic with SU carbs and single branch manifold, as I was never aiming for it to rev, due to a hydraulic pump on the front.

Thanks for the input. The engine is low mileage (92K) and in good condition other than the camshaft so I'll probably keep it simple and either go with a 3.9 camshaft or the Piper Torque Max. Larger engine or EFi would be good but extra work and cost.