What Would You Go For? 2003Td5 Or 2009Tdci, £6.5K Diff...

I don't think I've read one comment I don't agree with, some good advice to heed. Whatever you choose, be sure to post up some pictures :)

Oh yeah, most definitely!

Thanks for all the input everyone, much appreciated, whether it's making the decision any easier, I don't know :lol:

Right I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the TD5, taking it for another spin this w/e and it seems to make better sense to start my Defender ownership there with not such a large investment..

The TD5 is actually a 2004 and tbh the only thing putting me off is that it's had 5 previous owners, which sounds like a lot, though I'm guessing Defenders can go through quite a few hands in their time, ultimately condition is key and this one seems good. I'm getting a warrenty with it anyway so should be pretty 'safe'..

Going to take it for one more spin, is there anything I should try in particular that might show a warnings sign? Driving with 'full lock' or something? I know on Freelanders you can try that to reveal worn out VCU's etc.

TD5 suffer terrible body corrosion, but TDCIs suffer less (though they still get it on the windscreen frame and its brackets). Both have pathetically thin skins with wing tops that dent if you breathe on them.

I find the TDCI's 1st gear too low, but brilliant for hill descents in low range, and 6th is good on the motorway. I like the R380 more, though. Both pull very well. As for interiors, I don't like the look of the TDCI's dash and it's a bit tight on the knees, and I find the new seats lacking in lumbar support, but it does have an incredible heater and aircon system.

On balance, of the two, I'd get a TDCI and retrofit older seats (and move them 1" inboard for more elbow and shoulder room).

Ok, looks like I'm going for the younger TDCi model after all! :lol:

The TD5 definitely had more character but the newer one just seemed to 'feel' right I guess. I'm only 5'8" so i don't have a problem bashing my knees on the dash and I think i even prefer the look of it anyway. Rev counter is nice too..

Ps. It's proper filthy, my mate just just picked it up.

nNBawHZ.jpg?1

Dodgy adhesive on the numberplate letters ;)

Ha ha. I don't know what bad can come of it, but it seems standard to remove your numbers from internet pics!

Remarkably on a 4 year old car there is the odd spot of rust (mainly on those step bars), only superficial but still, first stop waxoyl on ebay! haha

Ha ha. I don't know what bad can come of it, but it seems standard to remove your numbers from internet pics!

Remarkably on a 4 year old car there is the odd spot of rust (mainly on those step bars), only superficial but still, first stop waxoyl on ebay! haha

I think you mean 'Remarkably on a 4 year old car there is only the odd spot of rust' You should see new ones.

Oh well done!, aye watch the body capping's below the rear quarter windows too, proper pain for peeling! oh and the plate that connects the rear floor to the rear cross-member get plenty of waxoyle packed in around there!