Need quick help; Clutch slave culinder pushrod L90-84

Hi; Need quick quick help.

Just refurbished my clutch slav cylinder. During this, the pushrod was still attached to the clutch fork. It didnt follow out when removing the S.cylinder.

Now before remounting I wiggled it a little and out it came. Quick happy since it also needs cleaning,......until it came out to its full extent........With the pushrod a plastic washer with a clip followed. It seems it centers the pushrod to the fork. Its rounded to let the pushrod ball move inside.

1. I dont see this plastic washer something in the Haynes.....

2. I WILL NEVER be able to refit this into the fork; with the clip???? The hole is small....distance to the fork is a couple of centimeters......

Is this washer required?

Any ideas/comments?

EDIT: You can actually see the washer on picture 3.12 (Clutch) in the Haynes..(Just barely)

you can do this with a bit of 15mm water pipe and a spot of blutack to hold it all in place. You use the pushrod as a guide and the pipe to press the clip home.

And yes its an arse of a job requiring three hands the size of an action man.

you can do this with a bit of 15mm water pipe and a spot of blutack to hold it all in place. You use the pushrod as a guide and the pipe to press the clip home.

And yes its an arse of a job requiring three hands the size of an action man.

Ahhhh....clever. I am just trying to glue a tiny/long screwdriver to the washer but it wont hold since its the "greasy" type of plastic. On the other hand the screwdriver would be simple to get it to release once in place. But I will try the pipe. Very clever.

Thanks!!!!!

YES, action man hands are required. Not banana fingers like mine......:)

GREAT! I broke the clip!!!!!

GW8IZR; How hard was it to get the two "clips" to fit in the slot?

If I feel the slot with my finger and compare the length to the length between the clips, it seems they will really need to be pushed/fiddled into the slot!?

I tried to bend them together a little; This is how I broke it.

So the problem is not a new clip. The problem is the delivery time/cost. But....I have other things to do in the mean while :(

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

I've broken the clip when the fork is in my hands, I think the plastic goes brittle with age - hopefully the new one will be ok

maybe keep it in your pocket til ready to fit so its not too cold.

Found this post while looking for other information so I thought I'd pass on my solution.

Photos can be found in an album I created called clutch push rod. I'm not sure how to get there or how to post the link.

Any how, I broke the clip on the plastic retaining pad. So using the pad for dimensions I made a spring clip that wraps around the push rod sanwiching the plastic pad against the ball end. The clip then locates through a slot in the clutch operating arm holding it all together. I bent a cheapo pair of pliers to suit the clip and created tension on the pliers by wrapping an elastic band round them. The whole affair can then be delicately poked through the slave cylinder hole and the spring ends located in the slot. It is still far from easy but saves taking the engine out!

Just in case you wre wondering. The photo's were taken a year or so later when I had to take the gearbox out.

Grunt.

Photos can be found in an album I created called clutch push rod. I'm not sure how to get there or how to post the link.

to post a link, just Copy the webpage from the address bar & then paste it in to your reply.

Thanks all.

Well I call Landrover in Sweden and they will have a clip for me on Monday latest. It was "only" £10 :)

I saw the cost for the clip in LRDirect..............Well Landrover in Sweden must also make some money.....

Still concerned how to get the new clip on the fork.

Anyone who can remember if the clip "clips" quite freely into the slot or if you need to "almost" compress the two small clips inorder to get them into the slot. Surely I could find a solution like the "pipe" solution above (which I also already tried) IF I only knew that I where in the right position. But since its impossible to see/feel it seems very hard..........

I am not sure if right hand driven Landys has the same "problem as I have. My exhaust pipe is in the way. So I do not have any sight at all into the hole. I need to tweek my hand behind the exhaust in order to get the rod into the hole.......

CARP!!!!!!!

Hmm the left hand drive complexity had escaped me, I can't imagine that helps you.

I would think LR direct would have posted one to you, I'd have bought a couple in case.

The two pins do have to be in the right place to engage - my none standard exhaust has to be removed to be able to see into the hole.

The improvised wire clip idea above sounds worth trying to me.

Guys! Sorry to bother you!

I got my clip today!

I glued a small piece of pipe to the clip and now have a pipe which goes into the one glued on. Which I then simply can remove once clipped!

BUT, I cant get the clip in. I dont even FEEL when I am at the correct location.

I cant even feel when one of the two small croks are inside. (I think). The few times I have tried to put some pressure on it, the croks only start to bend. (The way I destroyd the old clip....)

Any ideas?

MAN why did I remove the rod......:(

ok, got it in (I hope!)

Very strange. It would not engage. But duing all the bending of the small croks I pushed them together a little.Then it felt they went in but when taking out the rod it came out again. So it seems its TIGHT.

If the croks are normal it seems very hard to get them in. If they are a little bent inwards the clip will engage but easily come out again. Once in a juggled it right/lleft/right..........until I carefully took away the pipe. It was good. Quickly put the cylinder in place and HOPE its all ok!

Keep you updated once I get oil in!

/Martin

Thanks!

I got some oil in and one of the kids helping me to pump up the pressure while bleeding the system.

Seems to be working. Cant check until I get me new UJ for my prop shaft.

I never removed my exhaust system. I could actually jam my head up between engine, frame, exhaust........very scary scary scary, at one point I was stuck for a minute. I had not lifted up my Landy otherwise I would never had put my head there, but at least I could see where the slot was.

Thanks all for the encouragement!!!! :D