200 TDi Charge Light Problems

Hi,

I am desperately in need of some help.

I have spent the last few months rebuilding my defender which included a full bodywork overhaul and a rewire (Kit from Autosparks).

Everything is working great EXCEPT the battery charge / alternator warning light does not come on at all.

I have tired the following:

New alternator

New bulb

Wiring test from multi plug to alternator - ok

Fitted new engine earth strap

New Battery

Cleaned battery connectors

Alternator charges after a "blip" of throttle giving a healthy 14.6v.

Frankly, my brain is fried on this one - any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Blake&Red Kev

that's a possibility, there's a resistor within the loom approx location is between instrument pack & centre of dash, it'll need a partial dash strip down to access it, looks like a in line fuse holder covered with a PVC sleeve, these might help

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=43603&hl=%2Bignition+%2Blight+%2Bresistor

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=27348&hl=%2Bignition+%2Blight+%2Bresistor

Take the warning light wire off of the alternator and connect it to earth. If the warning light is then lit you have an alternator problem.

If there's still no light then the issue is elsewhere.

At the warning light panel remove the bulb and check for a 12v ignition supply at the bulb holder, if ok check for continuity from the other side of the bulb holder through to the alternator.

If the diode is missing or failed then there will be no continuity between the warning panel and alternator, it will be in the dash loom somewhere.

The resistor is connected in parallel with the warning lamp, if the bulb blows it will still allow an exciting current to pass enabling the alternator to charge. Even if the resistor is missing the lamp should still light.

Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry no feedback for a while but work gets in the way!

Warning light still no working but not had time to work on it - I have fitted a voltmeter which show 11 volts on start then goes up to 14 volts after a minute or two (or after a bit of revs) so I am still thinking it may be the diode and I will follow Pauls advice next weekend and see where it leads. On the plus side it cruised through the MOT.

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers guys,

Kev

• 1 month later...

Problem fixed - finally got around to biting the bullet and stripping out the dash - turned out to be a break in the wire from the back of the dash to the multi plug where you connect the engine harness.

5 minutes to fix - 4 hours removing & replacing the dash!

Thanks for the help from everyone

Kev