200tdi 12L engine with a 19j alternator and pas pump fitted

I'm in the process of changing my screaming PAS pump when I noticed what a cobble together the alternator mounting is on the car.

I have a 12L (Disco) 200tdi in my 110 HiCap, I ve always had a slight glow from the battery light, and while removing the old pas pump today I noticed the bottom lug was snapped on the alternator. There's also bits of plates and nuts and washers making spacers in there the whole thing was a mess.

Does anyone have a picture of what a 200tdi alternator and power steering pump should look like on the engine. Also I think the belts were wrong. one belt was driving the pas only. the other the alternator and fan. Is that right?

Lastly what is the difference between the 200tdi and the 19j pas pump?

Thanks in advance for any help

Ben

90/110 19J turbo diesel engine PAS pump & Alternator bracket http://lrcat.com/#31/4/53115

90/110 Defender 200Tdi http://lrcat.com/31/3/8433#31/4/53159

Discovery 200Tdi http://lrcat.com/31/3/8433#32/4/45537

Disco bracket is completely different,

the 19J bracket should fit OK the bracket part number 7 PAS plate part number are the same as on Defender 200Tdi engines

Thank you.

This is getting stranger and stranger.

The bracket assembly that the alternator and pas pump mount on seems to have been cut at some point so the alternator wont fit on. I'm guessing this is what the extra, couple of hex nuts and washers that fell out were doing, spacing out the bottom bolt. Looks like I need a new ERR1115 looking at the links posted above.

I'm going to try and post a picture ERR1115 is no longer available apparently. Does anyone make an aftermarket alternator/pas pump mount? Or am I going to be better trawling breakers ebay etc

Ok This is what I've got

004.jpg

It's been cut away here

005.jpg

Closer view

006.jpg

Thanks again in advance for any help or ideas

Ben

I'm not overly familiar wit the Disco 200tdi parts, but that bracket looks as though it's been butchered at some point, the strap at engine block is not a standard item.

best bet would be ebay or a LR breaker.

found a new one here http://www.jle4x4.com/boutique/support-pompe-alternateur-moteur-p-1664.html

but it's in France cost 70 euro plus post/vat

I've just read right back through it. That's a defender PAS mount that's been butchered for some reason and bolted to the existing holes on the engine block. That strap is only there I think because the strength of the cast block has been lost by the butchering. The PAS should be driven by the crank and water pump, the alternator by the PAS. There's a long aluminium casting bolts to the side of the disco timing case, using the hole that strap is on amongst others, then the PAS is bolted to a steel plate 6mm thick which pivots on the front of it to tension the main belt, then the alternator swings above it. It looks like a half baked effort at converting a disco into a defender spec engine

I was thinking it was a chopped about Defender mounting, certainly doesn't look like mine.

a genuine defender 200tdi PAS/Alt bracket should bolt on, timing case has 2 bolts going in through the bracket from inside the pump recess. maybe Disco 200tdi doesn't have those.

So if I bought a disco mount, that should fit the block properly?

I can then fit the correct disco alternator.

Presumably the pas pump should have a pulley on it with 2 grooves then, one to take the drive off the crank and one to drive the alternator.

I wonder if this was done as a way of fitting the air filter where it was, I think with the alternator higher it may foul where the air filter was mounted before.

the correct bracket will sort the pump & aLternator location.

PAS pump should have 1 groove, crank pulley should have 2 or 3 grooves.

crank pulley front groove runs PAS pump only

middle groove runs alternator & water pump

inner groove runs air con compressor if fitted.

see my pics below [Defender 200tdi]

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/western214h/library/200Tdi%203%20groove%20pulley?sort=3&page=1

So is the belt system different between Disco and defender then? That sounds different to

I believe Yes, sounds like it's a bit of a bogged conversion, 12L is the Disco variant & it should have the air intake chamber & low mount turbo, someone has fitted a Defender manifold then if turbo is high up.

not sure how the disco belts are routed.

• 6 years later...

I think mine is totally butchered then, PAS bracket bolts snapped so almost no power steering, heating and battery charging.

I found that this post is the most accurate for my current situation, don't really know where to start? 

I recently become owner of Defender 110 93 L plate with 12L engine which is Disco engine if I'm not wrong, alternator and PAS brackets arrangements just don't look right to me??

Should I look for second hand bracket ? or it wont help at all as turbo is high and manifolds may be on the way with original brackets? Please advise.

I have 2 grooves on crank pulley and only one on PAS, picture for reference 

44094027-9720-4418-A288-4FF73AE326C2.JPG

The front  timing case , manifolds etc are easily swapped between defender and discovery blocks the 12L refers to what it went in originally,  post up some more pics or have a google or look on ebay to work out what timing case you have then you can get the right bits , 

I don't think its been butchered the mount that is, but it looks like your missing that large plate on mine and maybe that what all the washers were for. Mine is a discovery 200tdi complete fitted in a 1989 90

Edited by andy _1
  • Like 1

Pmike, my bottom pic is the clearest for the pas bracket (defender 200 engine)  to compare against Andy 1s (disco 200 engine).

In my view the disco bracket is superior for tensioning the PAS as the square hole that's visible is good for using a 1/2 drive to apply tension whilst you tighten the three bolts.

ATB

G