200tdi on a go slow

landyawd

Hi all let me introduce myself, I have been a member for a while now and have found this forum to be very useful. Normally I find what I'm looking for without having to ask. This time however the problem has stumped me....

I have a 200tdi discovery engined challenge truck. Ever since I have owned it when compared to other 200's mine has always been slow. Acceleration is not bad in honesty it's the top end that's the issue. Even on the flag you struggle to get out of 4th into 5th.... No real smoke apart from a bit of grey smoke when cold.

I have done the following since owning, and it has made zero difference:

New fuel lift pump

Cleaned re-seated valves, including new head gasket and full decoke.

Regular oil changes

New air filter

New fuel filter

Checked turbo boost running at 0.7-0.8 in the top of third gear, turbo squeals a bit when pulling hard.

All hoses replaced

Refurbed injectors

I guess the only thing left is the fuel pump?? Before I go nuts and spend more money is there anything I could have missed?

Is the boost diaphragm on the FIP actually doing anything? The mechanism that the diaphragm connects to is known to sometimes gum up and then though the turbo's boosting as hard as it can there's insufficient addtional fuel being signalled bu the diaphragm so you don't make much power.

Hi tanuki, never thought of that. Sounds silly is there anyway of testing the diaphragm or will it visually looked gummed up?

There is also a pipe running from turbo to the FIP I guess that could cause a similar issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Well today I took the top off the injector pump, though i would give it a tweak .... This is what I found after undoing the 4 screws!

So what do you reckon, considering there should be a star wheel in there, I'm guessing the rest of the pump will be knackered.

I presume this is beyond rebuilding? I was thinking about getting an early 300tdi unit to replace it only as they are easier to find... What do you think?

post-13526-0-57794900-1402864021_thumb.jpg

post-13526-0-17376500-1402864040_thumb.jpg

That's been well and truly submerged in water me is guessing somehow... the chamber you see is actually "open" to atmosphere for the diaphragm to work properly, full on breathers have one attached to this too.

From the look of it, I doubt you've been getting any boost adjusted fuelling at all going by the look of that. Have you managed to get the control rod out? - it should be attached to the bottom of the diaphragm...
I had issues with mine not all that long ago, I posted up some useful diagrams.

If you can free it up I recon there may be a bit of life left in it...

and link - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=85023&hl=

Hi Mav,

Yes I think your right it's definitely been swimming at some point. The diaphragm was in reasonable condition but is was stuck with the fuel pin refusing to move, hence I undid the retaining nut and to my horror found the previously shown picture.

I have rebuilt this truck top to bottom and only just started to investigate the power issues, this must have been the issue from the start I guess.

This link http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=85023&hl= Is really useful great help thanks for that.

One evening this week I will attempt to release the fuel pin to see how bad the rot is, I hope I can use it for a while if not I will bite the bullet and get another pump.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I managed to locate an early 300tdi injector pump, bolted straight on and works a treat. It was off an auto so just removed all the throttle position sensor and adjusted the throttle cable.

Thanks people for all your help!

Oh yes, so much better, to think I was so close to swapping it out for a v8!!!! So glad I didn't!!

Just need to sort out my screaming turbo now.

It seems a common problem at high revs to get a screaming sound, mine only does it under load, in all gears, it that normal?

It still putting out 0.8 to 0.9 bar at the manifold.

So I don't expect any performance gain but want to sort it ASAP.

Anyone used one of those replacement turbo cartridges? They are about £160 on ebay....

with the engine cold obviously, take off the big inlet hose and grab hold of the centre shaft and give it a wiggle, it should have a little up/down movement but minimal in/out. Screaming noises though are more likely to be a hose as said above :)

Ok it took a while but I got round to taking the inlet pipe off the turbo.

I got hold of the shaft and there was a small amount of play nothing to write home about.

I have check all the hoses all looks good.

Is it possible for the intercooler to make a screaming noise? Any other ideas?