R380 oil thermostat housing

The plot thickens..... From the parts manual linked on this site, it has:

FTC2104 listed as "V8 Basic" for R380 and points to the picture of the oil cooler type housing

FTC2104 listed as "Block oil extension case" for the LT77 and points to a picture of the non oil cooler type housing (just a cast loop)...

They also list another FTC2687 for "V8 Cooled"

I have that FTC2687 in another offical parts book as for "V8 oil cooler (air cooled)" and "BMW M52 6 cylinder".

in that book it has FTC2104 listed as "V8 except oil cooler (air cooled)". Both are pointing to picture of the oil cooler type housing...

Serg, what are you up to? If you're fitting a cooler to the R380, then won't you just use the FTC2104 and source some hoses?

If I can find a used adaptor I'll probably order a Derale 10-row alu cooler plus flex hose and couplings, and mount the cooler in front of the rad as was done on the Wolf.

On 6/13/2014 at 5:30 AM, uninformed said:

The plot thickens..... From the parts manual linked on this site, it has:

FTC2104 listed as "V8 Basic" for R380 and points to the picture of the oil cooler type housing

FTC2104 listed as "Block oil extension case" for the LT77 and points to a picture of the non oil cooler type housing (just a cast loop)...

They also list another FTC2687 for "V8 Cooled"

I have that FTC2687 in another offical parts book as for "V8 oil cooler (air cooled)" and "BMW M52 6 cylinder".

in that book it has FTC2104 listed as "V8 except oil cooler (air cooled)". Both are pointing to picture of the oil cooler type housing...

FTC2104 http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=FTC2104 to operate the gearbox temp red warning light only, no gauge, no gearbox oil cooler radiator, same as mine but no temp sender in top, but I do have the sender, my one needs drilling & thread cutting.

FTC2687 http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=FTC2687&type=0&eq=&key=it Same part as the R380 item BUT with a different part number.

Serg, what are you up to? If you're fitting a cooler to the R380, then won't you just use the FTC2104 and source some hoses?

If I can find a used adaptor I'll probably order a Derale 10-row alu cooler plus flex hose and couplings, and mount the cooler in front of the rad as was done on the Wolf.

Well Id like to know the internal differences. Do they all run the same thermostat? do they all have the same port sizes and flow rates? Why did LR apparently offer 2-3 differnt versions of it?

FTC2104 http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=FTC2104 to operate the gearbox temp red warning light only, no gauge 7 no gearbox oil cooler radiator, same as mine but no temp sender in top, but I do have the sender, my one needs drilling & thread cutting.

FTC2687 http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=FTC2687&type=0&eq=&key=it Same part as the R380 item BUT with a different part number.

Yes I thought that could be the case re FTC2104, but there are other online stores that sell the oil cooler t/stat housing under part # FTC2104???

We also have to remember that there was different cooler set ups, the simple looped tube and the tube with real finned cooler at front, could that lead to a different hosuing/part#

while we are talking about the sender, do you know if it can be fitted elsewhere if going the oil cooler route? do you know at what oil temp the sender would light up the warning light on dash?

cheers

Serg

the ports will be the same at the gearbox face, the bigger one is just because it has pipeline connections that need to run forward from the block, very much doubt the actual thermostat is inside the blocks.

the dash warning light is the RED thermometer mark in a circle, the switch could be fitted elsewhere but then it won't be in the fluid flow as the fluid comes out of the box, so could give a lesser temp actuation of the warning light.

I can tell you the thermostat is in the block. I have had mine apart. I also checked the operation of the t/stat, it cracks at 74c and is fully open by 84~88c.

Yes its a vertical thermometer on the dash warning light area. Mine is wired up to a bulb from factory and is now coming on with engine starting (position III) but I dont have the switch/sender at the gearbox lol. Good circuit board in my 98 Tdi!

Do you know what temp the switch/sender makes the light come on?

Re the part numbers, are you basicly saying there is only one oil cooler block and LR have had a part # cluster F....

not a part number muck up, just different vehicle ranges have different part numbers, & various part number updates throughout the production run.

would be interested to see where & how the stat fits into the bigger block, I'm assuming it's in the rear face at the bulged area.

No temp stamped on my switch, suspect it'll be operating on the high side of 74 degree

i would think the temp switch will be in the pipe near the cooler , if its like on the autos , I have a 380 (ex p38) with cooler thermostat type adapter , and there is no provision for temp sensor/switch , at the gearbox end . I am mounting the cooler rad (13 row mocal) , under the body with elec fan on the face , as no room at front end !

I doubt the switch would be coming on in the high 70s. A mate put a thermocupler on his 98 130 R380. Had a small bit of gear in the tray, took it for a morning run in winter (NSW so cool by Aus standards), it got to 74c within 7 km. Also your water temp gauge doesnt go into the red just after the thermostat has cracked.

Yes you get to the thermostat from the back end and it goes inside the long bulged area

Good point tracr2man, there is definitely no provison for the oil temp switch on the oil cooler thermatic housing. If someone has the parts diagram for the oil cooler pipes and cooler, it may be in there?

post-2584-0-95606200-1402871106_thumb.jpg

I've been looking into putting a temperature gauge into the R380 too, I came up with two solutions to the problem of where to mount it, I was going to place one in the the out bound oil cooler pipes to my 13 row mocal type oil cooler(Situated beside my full fronted intercooler) and the other was to place it in the actual drain plug of the R380 itself-that way you'll be getting a direct temperature, however I'd need to tap a thread in the drain plug and there is the question of the magnet in the cap too and how to get around that.

John

• 2 months later...

Hi to all

I would like to add one thermostat to my R380 gearbox year 2001.

The FTC1404 is from a LT77 gearbox, but the price is very less than FTC2104 used in the R380 V8 or TDI 2.8 BMW.

Is it possible?

Remember I do not have the pipes and radiator yet, and measures of the threads of them would not be a problem.