Defender Tdi dash warning lights

Hey all,

Is there any up grade to this area? (aside from LED globes)

I just went to put LED globes in mine and see the abortion of a design. My circut board (if thats what you call it) is corroded and missing copper sections. Of course being open to the elements is not great (well done LR!)

cheers

Serg

The very last 300tdis (1998) have different warning lights from pre 98 ones. They may even be LEDs or possibly darker tinted plastic so they didn't have the visible coloured squares, but still fit the earlier type dash panel. The lights are rearranged though which means it is not a straight swap!

Mine is a 98 (should have added that).

Its not the plastic insert or the color of the lenses etc, its the pathetic electrical design that is frail and open to the elements thats the issue. Im sure LED will actually allow me to see said warning lights in the day for the first time.

Im going to have to order another circut board AEU2721, but was wondering if anyone in the UK offers a drop in replacement upgrade that is more sealed or of a different design?

only way to change from the old filament bulbs to led is use the Td5 warning light panel, the wire colours are the same as older vehicles, my 110 is a 1989 & I fitted a td5 instrument pack complete with the warning panel a few years ago,

all the info is in here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14892&hl=

& http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/2009/10/installing-defender-td5-gauges-into-a-200tdi300tdi/

& http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/2009/10/td5-gauges-bulb-information/

yeah not sure what Im missing but im going to say you are wrong. I have just changed 16 dash warning filament bulbs to LED bulbs. I simply took one original bulb out, went to my local electronic store and got LED replacements. They push straight in the bulb holders as they have the same tail.

That other info you linked is good. Looks like the Td5 warning lights are a sealed unit? Much better than the earlier stuff, hopefully the plugs are good quality. A bit of work to do the whole dash binicale, and im not a fan of LR guages, though the Td5 units may be better than the earlier junk. (not hard)

A custom warning unit may be on the cards....

The little thermometer warning light is for the transmission oil temperature if fitted.

The engine with lightning bolt through it symbol is Engine Immobilisation and should flash if you try to start the engine whilst the immobiliser is still active.

thanks AMB

so if the oil temp light, lights up on truning the engine over, (not ignition) does that mean its fitted. though it could be my corrooded circuit board?

I have a aftermarket immobiliser, but its not hooked up to that.

yeah not sure what Im missing but im going to say you are wrong. I have just changed 16 dash warning filament bulbs to LED bulbs. I simply took one original bulb out, went to my local electronic store and got LED replacements. They push straight in the bulb holders as they have the same tail.

That other info you linked is good. Looks like the Td5 warning lights are a sealed unit? Much better than the earlier stuff, hopefully the plugs are good quality. A bit of work to do the whole dash binicale, and im not a fan of LR guages, though the Td5 units may be better than the earlier junk. (not hard)

A custom warning unit may be on the cards....

td5 panel isn't sealed, there are 2 screws on the back so it can be opened,

converting to led as you've done is ok,

as to the earlier panel, it still has the printed circuit exposed under the bulb holder/connectors, the td5 circuit is on a board inside the casing so not exposed.

thank, looks like a better board than the old tally-ho paper folded job from my Tdi.

now this question may seem dafted, and thats because I only know that electircs is some kind of voodoo, or black magic as it were.

When LED replacement lenses are fitted to the indicators on some LR (the actual indicators, not the warning bulbs) there are some issues. You can buy a wipac or RDX flasher can that apparently fixes this. But it seems that when said indicators are installed, if you remove the dash warning light bulb, they function fine. That makes me think there is some connection with LR warning light pannel.

Would chaning to the Td5 warning pannel, remove the issues when fitting LED indicators etc?

Don't know enough about the Td5 electrics to say definitely whether fitting the panel would solve isues with LED indicators, but I doubt it.

As Retroanaconda says, the issue with LED indicators is usually that they take a lot less current than the standard bulb. Older flasher units used a bi-metallic strip in the current path to flash the indicators at between 60 and 120 per minute. Reduce the amount of current taken by the indicators by using LEDs and the flash rate will reduce unacceptably unless the LEDs are also fitted with load resistors. I don't see how removing the dash warning light would make any difference.

Newer indicators tend to use a transistor drive, so no change in flash rate with load. However, they may incorporate balance coils to detect whether the current taken by the front is roughly the same as that from the rear (ie whether a bulb has failed) and plain LEDs may not take enough current to work the system unless the flasher is designed to work with LEDs.

ok, alot of what you guys said is just chinese to me lol.

But I know myself and others that have fitted the LED (wipac or RDX) indicators have problems. Mine worked straight up but my warning light circuit board is corroded on the left end (trailer and signal end).....

others had theirs work when they removed the bulb from the warning light ????

the indicator unit control the indicators & sets the flash rate 60 to 120 flash per minute for UK/Euro vehicles, I suspect it's the same in your country] the dash light is just a indication to you the driver it has no control or effect on the indicator flash rate.

maybe those who bought the led lights also bought the matching flasher unit to drive them & operate the dash warning light, otherwise you need a resistor in each circuit to do the same job as the current is a lot less for led lights.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/13/2019 at 1:57 PM, Leeeeeee said:

Hi, what bulbs and holders do I need for my 200tdi dash warning light panel please? I have searched everywhere and still cannot find them.

Pulling out hair....

Cheers

Lee

These or similar would work for the gauges https://fourby.co.uk/epages/950004277.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950004277/Products/DEF004&Locale=en_GB

The warning light panel led replacement can be found on ebay. 

14 hours ago, western said:

I don't know what the 3 resistors act on. 

Hi, Western.

I needed to identify the sequence of colors on the resistors. They are specific and my get burned and i can’t get anyone who knows wich to replace them.

By any chance you have a better picture of the circuit panel?

Anyone?