Ignition, maps,tuning etc - how and order??

Bingy

So now the 4.6 is running i need to start to think about getting it to run properly

I have read loads of threads and info -

but its in through the eyes and out through the ears missing the tiny sponge bit in the middle

have gathered that i need to set the ignition timing first of all

need confirmation on one thing.

been Reading again and again and again the A to Z MS thread, but sometimes there are some bits lost in translation :)

to check the EDIS timing vs the trigger wheel i should:

- disconnect the SAW wire (pink) from the relay board

- start the engine, EDIS should set 10º limp home mode

- with timing gun see whats the number on the cranckpolie

- turn engine off

- adjust if necessary the software triming, if timing gun shows 7º then i put -3 in the software triming

- start the engine with SAW still disconnected

- check timing again with timing gun.

is that it?

Yup :)

Or, you can set the idle cells to a fixed value e.g. 10, then check that the figure on the laptop matches the figure on the pulley.

As Bowie says, if you make the idle cells (or to be pedantic "all the cells the engine will be in when idling") some fixed value, EG 10deg, then you put the timing gun on & adjust the trim angle until the timing is correct (number seen on pulley with timing light = value in ignition map where the dot is).

Fairly straight forward....but

the 4.6 doesnt have any marks on the pullies to reference to

when the strobe light is attached

any other way?

Yeah.... find TDC by putting a hollowed out plug into cylinder #1 with a bolt through it to it contacts the piston as it comes up near TDC, then fabricate/use an old pointer and fix to timing chest.

Then wind engine one way, gently, until piston contacts bolt, and mark pulley.

Then turn other way until bolt touches again, mark pulley.

TDC is half way between marks, 10 degrees can be worked out with a protractor or a bit of maths from that mark.

I had the same issue with my 4.0 but do as Bowie says, I used a pencil in the spark plug hole,rotate crank pulley clockwise until pencil gets to highest point and make a mark where you have the pointer set, then continue to rotate until pencil starts to drop down then rotate back and make a mark when pencil is at its highest point, In between these two marks is tdc, then measure the circumference of the crank pulley divide by 360 and times by ten equals the distance for you to make another mark which is 10deg btdc, then in the spark table set all the buckets to 10 this will have it firing at 10deg btdc with your strobe adjust the trim in spark settings

So i have a plunger in no 1 cylinder at tdc

and the vr sensor lines up with the mark five teeth away from the missing tooth

i have made a pointer level with the edge of a tooth on the trigger wheel

trigger wheel is 36-1

i need 10 degrees

so each tooth is 10 degrees apart

apart from the missing tooth

If i put a mark on the pulleywheel

from the edge of the tooth previous

this should be 10 degrees before tdc

or is it not that simple??

I always rotate the crank both ways and find the mid points, due to clearance in the bearings it will affect the position of the piston, and not trying to find the highest point of a rotating component, which is pretty difficult.

Other than that though yes you have it :)