Filling an R380 with oil cooler

dave88sw

Hi,

Is there a special method to filling an R380 with a gearbox oil cooler? I.e. do you have to run it in gear (transfer neutral) to fill the oil cooler and then continue filling or just drop the oil and refill to level as you would without a cooler?

Cheers

Dave

Ok, good advice here :), the reason i'm asking is i want to change the current old ATF for MTF94. So if it has a thermostat, would it allow the oil to drain from the oil cooler with the box oil or is it worth dropping a pipe off and allowing to drain?

Ok, good advice here :), the reason i'm asking is i want to change the current old ATF for MTF94. So if it has a thermostat, would it allow the oil to drain from the oil cooler with the box oil or is it worth dropping a pipe off and allowing to drain?

Interesting. Where would that thermostat be I wonder ?

I have a Wolf system on my Defender, I'm not aware of a thermostat fitted.

18 - Housing-transmission thermostat FTC2687 [ Manual ]

On a P38 trans this is how its listed

On a V8 defender listed

Housing-transmission thermostat

V8
except oil cooler (air cooled)
FTC2104 [ Manual - V8 - except oil cooler (air cooled) ]
oil cooler (air cooled)
FTC2687 [ Manual - V8 - oil cooler (air cooled) ]

on 6cyl defender

6 Cylinder FTC2687 [ R 380 - Manual - 5 Speed - 2800 cc - BMW M52 - 6 Cylinder - Petrol ]

it might be that the2104 is non stat type , Ashcroft specifically mentions that his kit is a non thermo type

HTSH

Further thought it might be that if its just pipe type "cooler" no thermo , but if proper matrix type oil cooler it has a thermo ?

Do you by chance have a temp guage on your cooler ? , also which is the outlet on the adapter upper or lower?

LOL. LOL.

You know I have Weetabix for breakfast each morning / I can't remember what I had today :hysterical:

No I don't have a gearbox temperature gauge.

For the outlet I just followed, I think, the Wolf parts picture.

I fitted mine in 1995 I think.

A temperature gauge is nice and all; but what I really want is a low-oil sensor.... any way to fit one of those? and don't ask me why I'm still in a bit of a bad mood about it.

The oil cooler thermostat is a wax pellet type that will "fail" to open. It is located in the twin pipe connection on the left hand side of the gearbox - the wax pellet thermostat is located behing the seal plate which is removed by removing the circlip. Easy way to fill the system is to get the gearbox up to temperature - feel the oil cooler supply pipe - and then top it up. Normally the oil cooler wont drain fully so if you have only done a gearbox oil change I wouldnt worry too much about it, you arent talking about a huge amout of oil here, only about 1/2 litre

The oil cooler thermostat is a wax pellet type that will "fail" to open. It is located in the twin pipe connection on the left hand side of the gearbox - the wax pellet thermostat is located behing the seal plate which is removed by removing the circlip. Easy way to fill the system is to get the gearbox up to temperature - feel the oil cooler supply pipe - and then top it up. Normally the oil cooler wont drain fully so if you have only done a gearbox oil change I wouldnt worry too much about it, you arent talking about a huge amout of oil here, only about 1/2 litre

So going by what you say the upper pipe is the "out" pipe , and best place to fit the gearbox oiltemp sensor then ? I have fitted a fan cooled 13 row cooler , as gearbox is dealing with a bit more torque than designed for !

Just drain the gearbox and refill to the 'dribbling-out-through-the-filler-hole' point, drive for 6000 miles and re-check the level.

Too many people are much-too-paranoid about this sort of stuff. In the business-world we trust the maker's service-book guidance even though we measure downtime by the dollar.

• 3 weeks later...

Would'nt the oil capacity for the V8 give you a quantity, the gearbox is the same as fitted to the 300TDi only the V8 has the oil cooler fitted as standard, so I assume the oil capacity for the R380 + oil cooler as standard fitted to the V8 would be slightly more that the non oil-cooled 300TDi.

Wow, as I understand it the R380 gearbox is designed to handle 380NM of torque so you must be really putting it through the hurdles as it were. I only retained the oil cooler when I installed the R380 and discarded the ZF4HP22 and retained it only due to the higher ambient temperatures experienced here in Oz - up to 50 degrees C in the deserts - and I just used the standard ZF4HP22 oil cooler and retained the auto temperature sensor in the oil line. There isnt any data available (or that I can find) on the designed switch operating temp but mine switched at just under 98 degrees C - arround 200 F - easily tested in a pan of water with a thermometer and mulimeter while your financial advisor is out spending your hard earned.

Again, I assume that as the R380 can be run on ATF - the same as the ZF4HP22 - the oil temperature high limit will be the same.

Its behind a BMW M57 TDI which has also been remapped , and whilst not having done any rolling road analysis , you can tell by the way it accelerates my 110 (heavy ) it has a lot of torque . I am running Redline oil , which I started using when living in WA , and would recommend that it would be a good move for you , even though you live on the cooler side ! Will have a look for a specific V8 capacity .

Agreed, and while I run my R380 on the LR recommended full synthetic as this oil is a Land Rover upgrade / alternative from AFT again, it should have the same high temperature high limit as ATF, and while the east coast is cooler (its snowing this morning in Katoomba !!!!!) Julie and I spend as much time as we can exploring the Great Victoria Desert, the Anne Beadel, the Connie Sue and the Canning Stock Route. Great tracks and splendid country.

I looked for 2.8-3L when I filled mine up. I have a Mocal 10Row cooler mounted vertically with a P38 oil cooler block (it has a thermostat). I filled the gearbox up to the level, nipped it up then pulled a pipe off the top of the cooler and filled it up.