New Flywheel for the 2.8TGV

The Badger

The clutch started to slip, so gotten it all out and the flywheel is pretty badly fractured in a few places and the the clutch cover plate, friction plate was cracked all the way across. Got a new clutch but what Flywheel to use. M&D say their FlyWheel is modified, but that is only to used the now defunct 250mm clutch they used to sell.

So any advice on what FlyWheel to fit?

And a thanks in advance to helping fill my head with more random Landrover knowledge.

130 clutch is a waste of time on a TGV (it will slip, or shatter, or in my case, both), but I'm fairly certain the 300tdi flywheel could be used.

I've got some notes somewhere on the mods done to the standard supplied flywheel - as far as I recall it was just to put a timing mark in the right place in the bellhousing, and to mount a different clutch.

BTW the clutch was probably slipping because the centre boss was fouling the end of the crank.

When the M&D super duper heavy duty clutch was put in my Ibex, we compared the disk to a 130 part, and the cast boss sticks out much further, so we ground it back. It won't stop the spring plate clouting the bolt heads when the wear gets bad enough, but hopefully it won't get to that point as quickly if the clutch doesn't slip!

Ah, I just PMed you... Then hit refresh and here you go, thanks again, ha perfect timing. I went and brought a paddle clutch from Ashcrofts (yes it's twice the price but would like to see how long this one lasts)

Yeah the fist clutch shattered, then this one has cracked.

Should I mark it up for the timing before taking the flywheel off, never changed a flywheel before?

Is it an option to have this flywheel resurfaced/skimmed or are the cracks too bad? If it can be resurfaced perhaps they can add a step into it so the clutch cover sits like halve a millimeter lower than the surface of the flywheel. If it hasn't got a step already that is.

I have to say that clutch cover looks really bad, cracked all the way through! The flywheel doesn't look too bad on the photo, but it's a photo, so could be way worse in real life. I just changed my flywheel/clutch and my flywheel was full of surface cracks and blue/black spots. Clutch cover looked like new.

Just had a quick check of the parts catalogues, both 2.8 variants of the powerstroke use a different flywheel part number to the HS2.5 version (which is the south american built 300tdi equivalent).

So the flywheels as standard are different, but I don't know what the differences might be.

Mine looked like this:

20140712_121151_zps3tonmig2.jpg

20140712_121202_zpsuj5eodkz.jpg

I swapped it out for a resurfaced one just to reduce downtime, even though it has a lot of cracks, they did look to be on the surface only. I bet a lot would have to be taken of to get a good surface though, I have no clue how far you can go before it affects the clucht in any way, if it does at all which I don't think it does.

Perhaps having a little step machined in the surface for the clutch cover to sit on and a new clutch and it might be ok again.

How long did this one last before it was like this?

Both of those look very nice, I bet it the same price of getting a new one too. I think I am going to leave it for now and wait until the next clutch change as need to get the truck going again. Out here even getting one off the shelf is gonna take at least a week. Thanks for all the comments and I will go with a custom one next round. Will give an update once it's running as the paddle clutch is gonna be interesting