Diff Pinion Bearing

wood-gee

I've just purchased a new diff pinion bearing as I had my diff open anyway to replace the pinion oil seal, popped the old bearing out to have a look and concluded it was past it's best. However on inspecting the new bearing the rollers seem relatively loose in their cages and the whole thing feels pretty loose. whereas I was expecting it to be tight and smooth like a new sealed ball bearing. Is this normal, or have I got a duff bearing?

Thanks

Jake

Was it cheap?

The great thing about Britpart is you get lots of practice at doing jobs on landrover - and practice makes perfect!

Check the bearing for a makers brand - Tinken GKN etc. Let us know what the brand is and we'll be able to tell you whether you have bought a bearing shaped lump of pot metal, or a high precision quality component made from advanced materials.

The thing with Britpart is that they buy the cheapest they can get - unless it's OEM or Genuine.

So you can get lucky and buy decent for cheap, but usually if it's cheap it's carp.

I think there's a look up table somewhere that gives the part numbers for Timken equiv of LR numbers somewhere.

It wasn't as cheap as I was expecting actually, 9.50 ex vat, but there's no branding or anything on the bearing, came in a Britpart box.

I suppose my question is whether it's meant to be a little loose like this. I am now wondering if maybe the preload one applies when torquing up the nut takes up this slack? It seems identical to the old one, (albeit minus the pitting in the rollers of the old one), so I just wanted to satisfy myself that it's fine, prior to putting the time into fitting it. Probably worth clarifying that this slack is present when I play with it unfitted, if I put it with the outer race, and push them together it appears to take up this slack.

Retroanaconda - I imagine I will be, I'm from over near Ecclefechan. I did just that with the prop UJ I was buying as I'd read it's worth buying better (GKN in this case) for them, but was holding out hope Britpart might suffice given that it's a relatively simple bearing.

Thanks for the help so far

Jake

It wasn't as cheap as I was expecting actually, 9.50 ex vat, but there's no branding or anything on the bearing, came in a Britpart box.

I suppose my question is whether it's meant to be a little loose like this. I am now wondering if maybe the preload one applies when torquing up the nut takes up this slack? It seems identical to the old one, (albeit minus the pitting in the rollers of the old one), so I just wanted to satisfy myself that it's fine, prior to putting the time into fitting it. Probably worth clarifying that this slack is present when I play with it unfitted, if I put it with the outer race, and push them together it appears to take up this slack.

Retroanaconda - I imagine I will be, I'm from over near Ecclefechan. I did just that with the prop UJ I was buying as I'd read it's worth buying better (GKN in this case) for them, but was holding out hope Britpart might suffice given that it's a relatively simple bearing.

Thanks for the help so far

Jake

Ah grand, I am up near Thornhill :)

I would suspect any bearing that doesn't have a makers mark on it - SKF, Timken etc. That said, taper roller bearings will have the slack taken up once the preload is applied.

That said, taper roller bearings will have the slack taken up once the preload is applied.

Cheers boss, that answers my question! I'm accepting that by possibly being of lower quality than a branded bearing it may wear out faster, but to be honest I'm planning on putting a different ratio diff in at some point in the not too distant future so as long as it just about holds up till then I'll be happy.

Thanks again for the help anyway guys, I'd say it was probably my lack of knowledge on bearings rather than an issue with the one I've bought but it's good to have satisfied my worries either way!

I'd amend that to - buy with caution!

I fitted front and rear mud flaps to my 109 a few years ago - genuine rear, and BP front.

The BP front are still as they were fitted (lots of waxoil on the brackets) but the LR rear are pulling through the fixings to the bracket.

• 2 weeks later...