Ride Quality (lack of...)

Retroanaconda

While looking through a series 3 manual the other night, for some thing else, I happened on the Leaf spring height setting. It seems Land rover recommend a certain gap between leaf spring and bump stop, now the interesting part was that if it was over the recommended gap, then it said to chain the axle to the chassis to close the gap up and then when the gap was at recommended height to tighten all bushing bolts.

I'd never heard of that before, but thinking about it logically it would be a clever way so soften the suspension a little, if you compressed the spring and then tightened the bushes then when the spring was unloaded the bushes would be in tension, but when the spring got compressed by a bump the preloaded tension in the bushes would get relaxed as the bush went into its normal state for a second.

As per normal procedure of tightening bushes when all the vehicle is on its wheels, well of course the bump not only has to deflect the spring but also the resistance of the bushes.

Does that make sense?

The ride shouldn't be that bad. I've a 2 leaf front and 3 leaf rear setup on my 109 and it's not bad at all. Not as good as a disco, but not far of the volvo estate on skinny tyres.

Mine are britpart cheapos.

I have heard the the RM are a bit harder, though, but tougher and longer lasting.

In addition to the above some thought food:

What tyre pressure are you running at?

Would you fit those poly bushes to the shocks and shackles?

Did you let the LR down from the axle stands when you tightened the shackle pins? Might be worth while running it up and down the lane with the 8 bolts loosened up and then tighten when on flat ground.

First thing Id look at is tyre pressure. You're running big tyres in a soft top. Try running the vehicle at maybe as low as 25 and see what its like then. Changing the pressure is cheap compared to throwing parts at it.....

• 2 weeks later...

Not been on here for a while.

Over the summer I fitted a set of 12" travel Bilstein 4600 Series dampers on the rear of my 88" with GB Springs 3 leaf parabolics. Obviously on new top and bottom mounts, 31" long!

They replaced a set of Rough Country previously fitted and the ride is brilliant. I can take it foot to the floor across a quarry bed and not feel overly nervous. Straight line stability was the best improvement.

The difference truly is night and day.

IF I get time later I'll post up a thread on the brackets and mods, oh and that is on Revolver Shackles too :ph34r: