Additional soundproofing under Wright Off Road kit

Snagger

Hi all,

I want to add to the sound proofing under my Wright Off Road kit (bulkhead, tunnel and footwells), as well as the interior of the foot well upper surfaces. I have not been that impressed by Noise Killer matting, which lines my entre engine bay and seems to have done little. I'm thinking of lead flashing, Dynamat or the old fashioned hessian fibre kits. Any suggestions?

Avoid hessian matting - it is rot-tastic!

I'd fit 3 or 4 layers of flashband bitumen sheeting to the underside of the floor sheets, the footwells, bellhousing suround and the engine side of the bulkhead. Use tiger seal to stick closed cell matting lined with foil on top of that. Also do the bonnet, as glass is invisible to sound.

My di200 doesn't have the wright matting, but does have the above and it's possible to talk or listen to the radio at 60-70 with overdrive. I'd love to compare the noise level before and after filling an off road mat.

G.

I had the WOR kit before I did the rebuild. Then I installed the Noise Killer matting on the front of the bulkhead, including the upper surfaces of the foot well uppers, the heater box, the whole underside of the bonnet and the entirety of the inner wings. That made no difference over the sound dampened by the WOR kit alone.

The noise seems mostly to come from around the bell housing area, so that flashband sheeting and some medium density foam should do the trick. Where did you get the flashband? Builders merchants?

Flashband? B&Q/screwfix/Travis Perkins etc.

An acoustic engineer I know is an expert in cabin acoustics - he initially only said one word when I asked about sound proofing: Mass.

He went on to explain: the more; the heavier; the quieter.

G.

Well, it's self adhesive but I used a blow torch to torch it on as well - don't fully trust the glue. A hot air gun would work - all you want to do is make it soft, not runny. It sticks well.

I used 3 layers but would put more next time.

G.

I used to be into car stereos when I was a lad and for all the hype about dyamat especially on the net.... the most effective stuff was felt matting

There is two parts to removing sound.... Mass will stop panels resonating, this is your dynamat and similar, but if you want to stop noise you have to stop air movement and that is the "rot-o-mat" felt stuff and the thicker the better.... back in the day we used to use Dacron (sp?) the insulation material inside your puffer jacket, it was cheap, glued well, didn't rot and seemed to dry better than felt but it had to be thick a min of 20mm but this was only used where water was an issue we still used felt... we used to go to the wreckers and pull carpets out to get more felt, they got the carpet to sell which sold since they didn't have to price there time stripping it and we got the felt for free lol

Another consideration is the door and window seals.... any air gaps will let noise in and its surprising how much

When I get to this stage with the 109 I will have to do some research.... as I'm loath to use an open weave product due to the offroad water issue and condensation when sleeping in so I'll be looking at some form of closed cell foam, the door seals will be changed to a modern car type

But there is also the issue of aesthetics, I'm doing up an old SIIa because I love the old school charm of them part of that is the steel and paint interior.... how much can you cover before it looks stupid lol

Door and window seals are no problem - I have Defender types (I know, I know! ;)). I think the noise is coming through the bell housing area, but not from the housing itself - it's where I have the least insulation, the engine side of the bulkhead being quilted but not the underside of the bell housing and tunnel covers, and the WOR matting is at its thinnest there.

I have a galvanised bulkhead, so the fibre matting shouldn't harm anything. I also don't get leaks, so it shouldn't get wet. But with the bituminous matting applied first, that should protect any metals.

Thanks guys - it has given me good information on what to mix and match.