90 Front Cross Member

s2hotdog

As it says interested as I'm just about to do this - and weld a 76 dia tube in for the pto bars to drive my H14 winch

I'm planning to drill the hole with a tank cutter - are there any stiffening plates already welded in the cross member ?

The hole will be roughly where the n/s rad support is

I'm aware that it will clash with the stiffener on the back side of crossmember I'll get over that

Anybody done this

So I know what to expect

Cheers for any replies

Steve

As it says interested as I'm just about to do this - and weld a 76 dia tube in for the pto bars to drive my H14 winch

I'm planning to drill the hole with a tank cutter - are there any stiffening plates already welded in the cross member ?

The hole will be roughly where the n/s rad support is

I'm aware that it will clash with the stiffener on the back side of crossmember I'll get over that

Anybody done this

So I know what to expect

Cheers for any replies

Steve

Steel erectors use a 110V drill with magnetic base and rack & pinion type slideway. It's safe, keeps the drill at 90 degrees and powerful enough to take quite large diameters. You might be able to hire from a good industrial type hire shop, or borrow from the forum? I use laser or water so can't help!

Thanks for the replies !

What I thought have access to mag drill but cross member is set at an angle ok for the front side but may be difficult for the back side

Also have gas gear - messy and am waiting for a die grinder on ebay

Will try hole cutter

What about stengthening or will welding the tube do ok

Cheers chaps

Steve

When I did mine (here goes for the mickey takes) I bored about an 80mm hole (biggest hole saw I had) so the U/J would fit to the back of the mech winch.

I then welded in a lump of 8mm tube, and made the length slightly too long so the tube protruded afterwards.

The I made some "L" shaped plates with a hole about 90mm, and then place these over the sticky out bit, and welded around the tube, the L was on the top of the crossmember 1 side, and behind and under the other. I guessed this (6mm :D ) would add back in at least what I had cut out or better......seemed to be fine !

Nige