Puma turbo overboost

Hi,

I've got an issue with a 2007 110 puma defender. It looses power, going into limp mode due to fault code P0234-00 'turbo overboost condition'.

So far I have:

• Replaced all pipes (turbo to intercooler + intercooler to intake manifold)
  • Changed all filters
  • Removed and inspected intercooler (clean as a whistle)
  • Replaced plug LR020663 as per Land Rover recall TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.LTB00254/2010
  • Removed and cleaned EGR
  • Replaced turbo and actuator (£££££££££)

Still having the same issue. If I turn the ignition off then back on the power returns, only to disappear 5 miles further down the road; do that 3 times and the engine light comes on.

Really at a loss as to what to do next.

Any suggestions welcome!

No experience with this engine, but It could be a leak in the intake somewhere. I have successfully traced this kind of thing by blocking the pipe to the air filter, pressurise the intake system with your lungs and listen if you hear any air escape from somewhere. For this to work you need complete silence. Any crack or split in a pipe is almost impossible to find just by looking at it.

Daan

Surely if it's over-boost it is too much pressure? (not a leak)

Would that not point to the MAP sensor? If it thinks there is more pressure than their actually is it could record an over-boost and lead to your situation....

I don't know the Puma engine at all, but assume it will need to know what the air pressure is just like any other electronically controlled turbo & injection system.

Just a thought...

Neil

I also don't know this engine but I know of a similar problem on the vw t4 engines, and can be due to splits on the small pipes which control the boost (actuator pipes), on the t4 there is one which goes to the ecu and a boost control valve. Normally 3 or 5mm silicon pipe can be used to replace them.

May be worth a look at

Jon

Not familiar with this engine either, so this may be of no help what so ever, but I once had a similar issue with the wifes Renault Clio, this had a vacuum controled actuator and the little solenoid valve that controls the vacuum to the actuator was knackered and was causing it to go in to limp mode and giving a "manifold pressure out of range" (or something like that) fault. Replaced this and it was fine, I found a workshop manual online and it gave the resistance between the two terminals on the valve, which confirmed the fault before I spent any money.

Dave