300tdi poor power still a problem

I wouldnt assume that the timing is ok. Even if you fit the FIP timing pin and the pin into the crank. I had major problems with my 110. Very noisy and way down on power. Eventually i tried moving the timing back by one tooth and it made a big difference. I suspect that someone in the past has mucked about with the FIP. I do now have a new FIP which i will fit soon.

It certainly sounds like you have the same symptoms that i endured for 4 years! My wife's 90 goes like a whippet on crack, but i had always assumed that was because i carry a load of stuff in mine and she goes top off most of the time.

I wouldnt assume that the timing is ok. Even if you fit the FIP timing pin and the pin into the crank. I had major problems with my 110. Very noisy and way down on power. Eventually i tried moving the timing back by one tooth and it made a big difference. I suspect that someone in the past has mucked about with the FIP. I do now have a new FIP which i will fit soon.

It certainly sounds like you have the same symptoms that i endured for 4 years! My wife's 90 goes like a whippet on crack, but i had always assumed that was because i carry a load of stuff in mine and she goes top off most of the time.

It's funny you should say that. The FIP pump timing was slightly retarded from factory settings. I've now set it at factory setting with the pin in the FIP and the flywheel locked.

It has improved the knocking noise and power a decent amount, especially when warm. But it's far from right.

I couldn't advance the FIP anymore from factory settings, I ran out of adjustment on the elongation of the FIP gear. I even took the front cover off and and try to reposition the gear so I could advance it a little and try it. But had no luck.

I'm stumped with what to do now really, as I also thought I was heading in the right direction with timing.

Thanks alot

• Like 1

If you have run out of adjustment on the fip turn the fip sprocket a tooth on the belt this will give you further room for adjustment, it sounds like you are going in the right direction and maybe the sprocket hub is not correctly alignedon the fip shaft.

If you have run out of adjustment on the fip turn the fip sprocket a tooth on the belt this will give you further room for adjustment, it sounds like you are going in the right direction and maybe the sprocket hub is not correctly alignedon the fip shaft.

I tried that KenM. Spent hours trying to figure how to do what you've suggested, and in the end we figured it wasn't possible. When we rotated it the bolt holes wouldn't line up for the FIP shaft. Either that or the belt would be too slack between the FIP and the cam.

You need to slacken the timing belt move the fip sprocket one tooth then retension the timing belt.

I tried that KenM. It still wouldn't work. It left the belt either too tight to fit the belt or lose between cam and FIP. Basically needed more elongation to adjust it another tooth

Leave the timing pin out of the pump, and move the sprocket one tooth, then see how it is, as has been mentioned there is a possibility that the fip hub is not aligned correctly, once you have moved round a tooth you will have another range of adjustment to play with.

Belt stretched? They will usually go one tooth either way, been there done that

It's a brand new belt. Or at least was 200/300 miles ago. Me and my dad were both looking at it, and we're racking our brains on how to adjust it a tooth. And each orientation we tried failed and brought us back to the original position.

What does concern me is most 300tdi engines are timed using the 9.5mm pin, including my dad's and run faultlessly with no knocking. Baffles me to why mines different.

Thanks to all

If you are getting knocking that's usually a sign of too far advanced. Are you sure you are adjusting in the right direction?

I didn't realise that. It's knocking a fair amount when cold, when warmed up it'd not as bad. I'm rotating the fip clockwise, which seemed to make it slightly better.

One other thing I would like to add, is there seems loadsss of turbo lag, it's extremely down on power untill you can hear the turbo sucking/blowing which is quite loud. Again much worse when cold and better warmed up!