TF remote reservoir shock or Gwyn Lewis OME Or what else?

gonewestnz

I have a Gwyn lewis challenge suspension kit to replace my Terrafirma pro sport +2" shocks and lowered rear mounts on my 90. I am considering the options regarding suitable +5" shocks.

Gwyn Lewis's old man emu shocks have been developed for the kit but the cost is up there!

The remote reservoir Terrafirma ones are a similar price and with a friend with a nitrogen gas charge kit I could tailor them to suitable pressure if they have a shrieder valve.

Has anyone used either set up or could give other proven options with the Gwyn Lewis challenge kit.

I'm sure Gwyn's OME kit is excellent but before spending £500 on shocks want to look at options.

You don't need anything special for shock-absorbers/dampers at sub-100Km/hr speeds.

Back in the 1980s I put a few ARG Metro 6R4s and clubman Audi Quattros through RAC Rally special-stages: I had tell-tale temperature-sensor strips on the Bilstein gas-pressurised shock-absorbers. Truth is, even at a target stage-time of 155Km/Hr in the forests we always ran-out of brakes before we ran-out of shock-absorbers.

From experience, I'd speak to the guys at Bilstein or Koni - they know what really counts. They may seem expensive, but their stuff lasts well beyond the bling-bling 'off-road' pimp-gear.

I've been running yellow gas Bilsteins on my 90TD5 for the last couple of years: they're really rather good for providing stability for fast-road stuff or when hauling a 3-ton flatbed trailer at 150Km/hr.

I realise it's as always you get what you pay for that's why I didn't mention the TF + 5" shocks as atround $200 a set I can't see them

Being as good as the others mentioned, though never had issues with Terrafirma parts in the past and like their products as a rule.

I also discounted pro comps for this reason.

I did speak to Koni a while back as I like their shocks but was told they don't offer a +5" shock and couldn't offer any alternative options

So I discounted them.

Guess I'll just have to keep,saving for the OME ones bassed on the posts 3-0 so far

I tink you're wasting money going with a remote reservoir shock if you're not racing/doing high speed stuff. A good quality gas shock will do more than fine. Bilstein has very good quality shocks and come in various lenghts. May have to alter shock mountings though as the come with an eye-eye configuration.

My 5125 series with 14" travel have been doing their job for 5 years now on mine and are still perfect.

I do have best experience with Profender shocks (which is the manufacturer of TF shocks).. I already tried the gas shocks on a Disco 1. Excellent price/performance ratio. We're racing Profender triple bypass shocks in our race truck. But that's a different story ;)

They now offer different adjustable shocks for Land Rover:

--> www.profender-shocks.com