max power winch for an 8mm cable?

bobtailrangie

The load on the rope remains basically the same which is based on the power of the winch regardless of the number of times it is looped.

Although correct, when putting it like that you have to take into account that the power of the winch is also determined by the load. And actually not so much the power but the torque of the winch, i.e. the line pull multiplied with the actual drum radius, including previous layers. So by using one or more pulleys, the winch will need to supply less torque for the the same pull. Winching speeds are (generally) to low to have a noticeable effect on the total load, compared to the big static resistance of a stuck vehicle. Only when shock loads are applied will the load on the line rise above the static load and be limited by the stall torque of the winchmotor.

So in the same situation, double or triple line pull will only put half or a third of the load (slightly more due to friction as already mentioned) on the wirerope. Vice versa, by using maximum line pull and using a pulley, the total force that can be be exerted will be doubled, but the speed halved, thus keeping power (= force x speed) constant.

More on topic, 8mm could be fine with a high quality steel cable in perfect shape. For actual use, you'd want a bit more margin, as the cable will age and wear.

Filip

I guess you could say then that in a given situation in a winch stall situation the line would have a higher load on it if double lined as there would be less rope on the drum therefore higher force. Obviously it still can't exceed the maximum power of the winch.

As stated before...the breaking strength of an 8 mm wire rope is less than 10000 lbs. A 12000 winch will break it 100% of the time before it stalls. It is your life...

Depending on how many loops are left on the drum. A 12,000lb winch is only a 12,000lb winch on the last loop. Tongue in cheek - you'd be mad to max an old 8mm wire rope out on any decent winch, I'd say.

Its ok I will not be using it with the 8mm cable, ive spoken to david bowyer + will either be giving his budget bowrope a go or removing the ramsey + fitting an 8000lb lowline I have which has a new 9mm cable

Thanks for all the replies guys + if any of you recognise what winch it is any indo would be great, cheers

I think ive been lucky + stumbled across the winch i have, looks to be a dc200 , an 8000lb winch or a dc300 which is a 9000lb winch, both have 470:1 gear ratio with a 2.5hp motor so not entirely sure how there is 1000lb difference, anyway from what ive been looking most 8000lb winches come with 8mm cable

This cable is in pretty good visual condition, ill still try get my lowline on for the weekend though

Cheers for the help