max power winch for an 8mm cable?

bobtailrangie

Hi all

My new toy has a ramsey worm gear winch, exactly what lb or model it is i do not know apart from that it was on it when previous owner bought it 11 years ago

He claims its a 12000lb

Having a look over it the winch cable is 8mm, he has used the winch trouble free but is an 8mm cable realy enough? Thats if the winch even is a 12000lb

Cheers

James

What do you mean by 8mm I assume you mean the copper core is 8mm dia if that's the case it's around 50mm2 which is what I use. I was recommended this by a sparky at work though the max load on 50mm2 is around 150 amps it seems to put up with 350 amps (stall) for short bursts. However if the 8mm is external then it's around 35mm2 which is what a lot of winches come with. Personally I don't think this is man enough but many people use it with no problems.

Mike

I'm not so sure about that, you're cutting down on motor loading by 1/3rd (ish), but the cable between the tree and the first pulley will see the full load I think.

I could be very wrong, my head hurts too much for physics questions :hysterical:

shove a photo up, does it have a ident plate or model/serial number ?

ident plate was missing from my Husky [bought 2nd hand] so I rang Superwinch Technical & got a new blank plate & all the info just by telling them the model/serial number, they even told me when it was made.

I guess it depends on how you use it. With most of the cable/wire/rope out, so it's down to the last layer, and a very stuck truck, I would think there is a strong chance 8mm would break. If you're close to the recovery point so only pulling on the third or fourth wrap of cable, you'd probably be okay. I'd be saving for something stronger...

The attached photo shows how pull force changes with each layer of cable on a random winch. Just the physics of how far the line is from the rotation centre.

post-57097-0-64520100-1418160491_thumb.jpg

Heres the pics. As I said it does seem old, handle on the left isnt original but is the freespool lever that rotates left to right

Spoke to uk ramsey dealer + they cant do anything without a serial number, aparently its gearbox end but cant find it, may well be because everything is covered in carp, looks like the previous owner needed a jetwash lesson, everything is pretty mucky on whole car

Cheers

The load on the rope remains basically the same which is based on the power of the winch regardless of the number of times it is looped. However the load applied on the land rover & anchor point is 3 times greater. The no load line speed is the same as this is also a function of the winch but the effective line speed (is the speed to approach the anchor) is less.

The reason I say basically is that the friction of rollers / things the rope drags on will slightly unbalance it but not enough to worry about.

If it were 3 statically fixed ropes then the load would be 1/3rd per rope.