200tdi starting problems

Evening all, just changed my engine which came bare, block and head only and fitted new recon pump. Now the thing won't start. All timing marks are set, start solonoid activates fine. Turns over fine but will not fire, fuel at the injectors.now I'm stumped, any ideas?

If timing is set OK, good compression and valves are set OK and fuel at injectors the only other thing I can think of is poor injectors or spray pattern.

I would however double check the timing - turn it over a few times and recheck timing.

You only need to be a tooth out.

I alway check and double check timing.

• 3 weeks later...

Dumb question but are you sure stop solanoid is connected? I changed my lift pump and knocked the connection. Kept turning over, just didnt fire. A quick jiggle and as good as new

If there's fuel getting to the injectors. Almost definitely not solenoid.

It's possible it's only partially opening though.

As has been stated before I'd double/triple check timing.

The flywheel has more than one notch in it for some reason (well mine does). It might not be an issue if you have a proper timing pin but there is a smaller notch which looks like it could be a timing mark but it isn't, which caught me out once.

Remove the cover on the air filter and give it a small squirt of easy start and see if it tries to run or at least fire, only a small squirt.

I hate the stuff but it will tell you if its willing to run.

If it does kick over then it has to be a fuel fault or timing.

Dont use a lot of easy start as it is not good for the engine and only a small amount is required.

The stuff gives me a headache.

my money is on the pump timing... I know you have checked it but still my money would be there.. When I had a 200tdi I had it all correct and pinned in place etc etc but the pump somehow was still out by a tooth which fed the engine but not well enough. never ran right until altered.

Is it a new/recon engine & head?

I just did a 300 tdi that would barely start. Could not get it to time up properly. Checked valve clearances and found 4 of the valve caps had worn through so gap was nearer 2mm than 0.2mm! Changed the caps but still wouldn't time up. Removed cambelt and found crank pulley had worn keyway and key so that it was turning about 10 degrees on the end of the crank. Luckily crank keyway not damaged. New pulley and key and timing went back together like a dream. Turned key and she fired in a millisecond and purred. Job done.

PS best tip for timing the 300 (and I guess the 200 is the same??) is to use a R380 reversing light switch in the flywheel drain hole. It screws in and being spring loaded the plunger will pop into the timing grrove as you rotate the engine and lock it at TDC. Saves an awful lot of crawling around with a torch!