A Land Rover in the news.

discomikey

... it becomes a purely social issue, you can complain but at the end of the day nothing you can do about it. If it has tax, MOT and insurance it is allowed to be parked on the public highway unless it is causing an obstruction.

Yep. Having a social conscience is consulting with your neighbour, not calling the fuzz right off the bat. That's no way to be a community.

But then maybe he told them to f'off initially and they weren't taking no for an answer. Maybe he took the wheels off cause he knew Captain Planet wouldn't like it.

The power is mine biotches!

Lol.. Peace d!ckholes.....

HAHA!

Was discussing this whole thing with a pal and remembered someone saying they recognised the area, which gave me a thought; as LR men we owe our allegiances to this guy. Wouldn't it be nice if we banded together and brought him some more axle stands and some traffic cones or workmen's barriers and cordon tape. You know, make it a safe working environment for him and his neighbours, whilst not at all creating a much much worse eyesore for that Mrs. Bucket of a man who called the cops :stirthepot:

• Like 1

Sorry, but leaving a vehicle on the public highway on axle stands is dumb and IMHO a bit irresponsible.

Totally agree, who in their right mind would do such a thing? Even though I can legally park my Land Rovers in front of my house (on the street), would I be so irresponsible to put it on axle stands and leave it parked there long term? If the owner has a garden, wouldn't it be parked there instead? The other home owners in the area had every right to get the police involved for safety reasons, according to the article the Disco was moved shortly afterwards..............why not earlier?

Totally agree, who in their right mind would do such a thing? Even though I can legally park my Land Rovers in front of my house (on the street), would I be so irresponsible to put it on axle stands and leave it parked there long term? If the owner has a garden, wouldn't it be parked there instead? The other home owners in the area had every right to get the police involved for safety reasons, according to the article the Disco was moved shortly afterwards..............why not earlier?

Nowhere in the article does it say that it was on stands for long. Only that the vehicle had been on the road for "a while". What if the guy doesnt have a driveway? Is he not supposed to remove the wheels for whatever reason? The vehicle wasnt ilegal. It was insured, taxed etc. no double yellow lines....

Im sorry but if i was in a position where i didnt have a driveway and i needed to work on the wheels for a day or two, i would be very angry indeed if someone called the police.

Some people need to get a grip on reality. We dont all have big driveways/garages/yards etc.

@Phil,

The article was written the 5th of Jan, and it clearly states the wheels were noticed missing New Years Eve, which makes that approx 6 days. I agree with you if you had to work on your vehicle for a day or two, why not as long as every attempt is made to make the area safe for those who passby. Many of the comments here clearly put the quality of the axle stands into question.

Who needs to get a grip on reality? If you are referring to me, by all means PM me your grief you have with me.

there are arguments from both sides,

it may have just been parked like that for any old reason e.g. to tiddle off the neighbours, or to avoid it getting stolen, (both of these IMO aren't really good enough reasons)

however he may well have had it apart for maintenance, it could be he was waiting on parts, or maybe had his wheels sent away for blasting (which over new years is obviously going to take more than a couple of says)

that being said. I don't like the stands he used. They would most likely be fine for working under, but (with something big like a discovery at least) i would avoid putting BOTH axles on those stands, and prefer meatier stands in the first place.

Ideally he should have lowered it as close to the floor as possible and supported it with something like wooden blocks (Large footprint both on the ground and the axles) maybe a foot long and wider than they are tall. that way it is nigh on impossible for it to fall off.

if this was the case (Waiting on parts or wheels) then there isnt much more than that, that he could do in order to keep his neighbours happy (apart from maybe wash it so it looks less abandoned) although to be honest if i were him i would be moving out of that area as quite obviously all of his neighbours are utter ****holes and not worth the hassle. Unless they have actually tried to talk to him before running to the L.A.P.D, (in this day and age highly unlikely)

finally, i would just like to take a moment to realise how lucky i am to have a dedicated workshop/workspace like many of us on here, not least a ramp. :i-m_so_happy:

not sure if i could cope with working on the side of a road these days haha

Phil that is a good point and emphasizes the fact that there are too many assumptions being made by us.There is one thing that is drilled into our heads all the time, weather at work or at home and that is safety is paramount. A lot more precautions could have been used in this situation.