Disco 2 Advice

stuck

Gent's,

I'm thinking about buying a Disco for the Mrs, probably a Disco 2.

I was talking to an owner at the weekend who was warning against purchasing one in a certain date range (I can't recall the dates) as they were prone to cam tensioner problems.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case (or refute it) & if so what were the years to avoid?

Thanks.

Gent's,

I'm thinking about buying a Disco for the Mrs, probably a Disco 2.

I was talking to an owner at the weekend who was warning against purchasing one in a certain date range (I can't recall the dates) as they were prone to cam tensioner problems.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case (or refute it) & if so what were the years to avoid?

Thanks.

Don't know about the tensioners but certainly check out the chassis as they are very prone to tin worm. Had mine for 30k miles in 2.5 years and apart from replacing the chassis no real problems.

Haven't heard of cam tensioner problems and I've had to tackle most common problems between two Td5's over the last 8 years. Regardless the timing chain tensioner (which I assume you mean) is easily replaced. I certainly haven't heard of timing chain problems. The only thing is a debate as to whether the chain can drop off the bottom sprocket while a head gasket change is being done. Personally I don't think it can unless you do something silly, but that's another story.

Anyway, if there were a batch of Td5 D2's to be careful about it's the early years - '99 to '01 I think. They had plastic head location dowels which allowed the head to move enough to undermine the head gasket. It's not a given it'll happen, but quite likely. So either trust your nose on that, or establish proof that the head gasket has been done, or buy a later car. Just fyi both mine are '01 or before, I've done the H/G on one, but the other is still going strong and has more miles on it than the first.

btw it's the rear chassis that tends to get badly rusted on most.

buy one without sunroofs! windscreens on majority let water in too.

The sunroof is fixable but I know if I bought another I just wouldn't buy one with sunroofs. especially as they have aircon anyways!!!
bar that and as mentioned above check middle to rear chassis. passenger side bonnet mount in shuttle panel. make sure all door locks work as there expensive to replace. Things that usually let got around 100k mark, steering pumps, clutch / dual mass fly wheel and ball joints are the £££ jobs to have done, so if there done then you should have some happy motoring

Just my thoughts.

• 3 months later...

I'm looking to buy a White Disco 4 most probably around 2010-2012 HSE. For the budget I have, the milage I expect would be roughly around 50k (ish) is there anything particular I should be wary of?, potential known weakness's or issues, or really anything I should be checking out before I buy? Any help would be most appreciated.....

I have a Y2K TD5 with twin sunroof's - and I love it - I could have chopted it for a TDv6 2006 this year, but i have done so much to it, its a shame not not use it. I only keep it to tow my caravan so it only does 1-2K per year!

Even though my rear chassis looked better than most that havent been done, it still needed doing, on the plus side you can raise the rear air suspension and do all the welding prep work without taking the wheels off!

PS the chassis welds up easy peasy, mind you it is much thinner than my D1 Chassis (1993) which is in much better condition to the Y2K!

Only my front sunroof drain pipes were broken - fixed with flash tape.

I have oil in my ecu despite draining and fitting a new ignition harness

I have a new Alternator, also!

just fitted a recon steering box, ps pipes, tracking bar, S damper and front steering ball joints - still need to do front shock bushes

Apart from all that mine is dark blue with cream leather piped in brown with full beige carpets, electric heated seats work from seat have inboard arm rests, cruise control is great, its a really comfy cruiser, MPG is pretty good I was getting 32 when I used to commute in it. (Auto)

I think they are a no brainer for the money

Mine has a new radio but the cd auto changer is bust

paint work is brilliant though and I have ACE which lets you corner like a looney