Hope im right .....

Ok guys its been a while but she has been behaving well

Ok latest's Landy disaster is .......Get in turn the key and some times nothing the engine does not turn over.........(Not every time)

ALL the electrics work fine just no turn over not even a clicking sound..

Ok so rapidly turn the key back and forth and eventually she will start ......usually a slow turn over to start with like its struggling to turn over then will kick in to life ...

Now I'm guessing starter obviously but any one think of any other possibilities ???

Yes, it could ge the starter, however it could also be dirty/corroded connections on the starter/battery, so you could clean em up and Vaseline them, could avoid replacing a good starter motor......

Paul

Edit, also check the big earth leads that go from battery to chassis and chassis to engine, clean em and Vaseline em!.....

I wouldn't expect it to turn over slowly if it was the ign switch, The ign switch supplies 12v to the starter solenoid (big relay) the solenoid supplies the major amperage to turn the motor.....hence my though it could be poor connections on the motor/battery/earth.......although I could be wrong!.....

Paul

Yes, it could ge the starter, however it could also be dirty/corroded connections on the starter/battery, so you could clean em up and Vaseline them, could avoid replacing a good starter motor......

Paul

Edit, also check the big earth leads that go from battery to chassis and chassis to engine, clean em and Vaseline em!.....

Also check the connections between the end of the earthing straps and the copper cable - these were loosely crimped on then soldered as far as I can tell; after 10 - 15 years the solder fails and the connections are just loosely crimped on. I had exactly this problem on two old 300tdi 90's, in particular the crimp in the middle of the earthing strap off the transfer box and both times the exact symptoms were as you describe.

• 2 weeks later...