discovery 2 steering wheel radio controls

muddy4x4xfar

Interesting question and I would be delighted to hear your experience if you go ahead with the conversion. I have been told that the existing head unit is fully amplified throughout the system and not possible to replace. Please prove that wrong as I would love to change my head unit to a more modern one

Hugh

Some standard high end systems do have an amplifier with the head unit just being the pre-amplifer a D 2 has it under the front passenger seat I believe.

There's nothing too stop the fitting of a aftermarket head unit although the installation won't be just plug and play.

Interesting question and I would be delighted to hear your experience if you go ahead with the conversion. I have been told that the existing head unit is fully amplified throughout the system and not possible to replace. Please prove that wrong as I would love to change my head unit to a more modern one

Hugh

It's possible, but you'll either need a head unit that supplies an unamplified signal, or some electronics to take the buzz out.

The CD changer won't work anymore unless the new head unit supports I-Bus.

The steering wheel controls can be made to work, there are plenty of converter boxes about, but with a (huge) stroke of luck your head unit will expect the same resistance values as the steering wheel puts out.

The resistance values from the D2 RAVE (2003, but probably identical in earlier models):

post-18506-0-59754800-1424335733_thumb.png

I'd look into Alpine headunits for the best chance of working with the system.