Discovery sport - meh

Ian Barrett

I saw a Discovery Sport out on the road today and I have to admit being hugely underwhelmed although I was looking forward to seeing it the the flesh.

It wasn't particularly ugly or anything. Just average looking and it could have been anything I was following. In fact it took me a good few seconds to realise I was following something with a green oval on the back.

I didn't get a look at the front mind, just the back and drivers side.

It looked like the 'fat mini' version of the Evoque.

I had an L405 in my workshop a while ago,whilst it was clearly very capable and went very well,(Apart from obvious software issues with the gearbox/engine relationship) it didn't feel at all special. Disappointing really, a TDV8 L322 sounds better,goes as well and is a darn sight cheaper...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you can accuse LR/RR of being blingmobiles, have you SEEN some of the gaudy tat the competition turn out? If anything they're keeping it (relatively) classy - and selling shedloads of UK manufactured vehicles in the process.

Funny how people form different (and negative) opinions of 3 cars on identical platforms (FL2, Evoque, Disco Sport) based on how they look.

i personally like them all. what i don't like is the prices £48,000 for the disco sport and onward through out the range.

But it's pumping much needed revenue into the country, lots of expenditure on new plant , technology and jobs. Something that hasn't been done since the 70's in the motor inductry.

When my numbers come in i'll have a RRS on the drive.

Söhnkë has an Ewok, top of the range thing, I personally found the Mini All4 supercharged a better motor with only, what appeared to be, a little less space inside.

But the Discovery Sport is taking sales away from the likes of the VW Touaregional finalist, wannabe Porsce Cayenne owners can afford one and still feel good about their credibility too!

For the rest, just another cross over platform that will die a death much faster than the vehicles of 20yrs ago.