Discovery 1 short rear half shaftbroken. Funny position?

Tobias

good morning

Last saturday i set about to change the rear diff that i presumably broke on the trail on long friday.

As i removed the short side half shaft i ended up with only the mushroom in my hand. The shaft remained in the axle tube. It has snapped close to the mushroom hat. I think this is a bit unusual, but i have never ever snapped half shafts before, only diffs. What do you think?

I was under the impression they normally break close to the splines in the diff end.

24-splines discovery 1 1997

Tobias

post-945-0-39386000-1428927948_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input. I changed the bearings, hub seal and halfshaft tonight. The bearings nuts and everything had surface rust, not on rotating surfaces but the others. Obvious sign of water entry at some point. Managed to clean up the stub axle decently and popped out the half shaft oil seal so i will notice if it holds the oil inside, which should mean it will hold the water out...

Tobias

post-945-0-34785300-1428967865_thumb.jpg

post-945-0-79120900-1428967888_thumb.jpg