LT77 Has lost reverse

I wondered if anyone may be able to shed some light on my problematic LT77 gearbox. It was working fine when I put the vehicle into storage in January and seemed ok when I pulled it back out last week. However, after driving it a few miles reverse gear has disappeared from the gearbox.

The gear-stick requires quite a lot of wobbling to get it into first gear but there doesn't seem to be any further movement left on the gate to engage reverse. I did eventually manage to get it into reverse by slipping the clutch and plenty of stick wobbling (oo-er :ph34r: ) at which point it failed to disengage again without a good tug backwards.

Any suggestions guys?

Harry

i had something similar when i was trialling. a bit of metal got broken off and jammed the mechanism under the plate the gear stick comes through. i removed it and its working fine now, but id quite like to know where it came from...

One question, does the gear shift sit in the centre, (between 3rd/4th gates) ?

I had this on another Disco where the spring bias plate had broken off and become lodged against the shift meaning no 1st 2nd or reverse!

Open up the top of the shift housing, and have a look, if it's this then easy fix with your welder or couple quid for a new one.

they also have a grub screw that comes loose on the external end of the selector rod that holds the socket for the end of the gear lever , visible by

removing the gearstick housing - 4 bolts . there is a gasket but

it's not oil side / inside the gearbox.

this has the same symptoms - hard to find gears

cheers

Steveb

Defender boxes don't have a bias plate to break. They do have a plunger that gums up with skank on the right hand side of the lever you can easily access with the transmission tunnel removed.

I would bet on this, sticky plunger, remove, strip, clean, oil and assemble,

when this plunger sticks it stops the stick going to the left past the 1st / 2nd gate

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies about the slow reply on this one, not had a chance to get under the 90 to diagnose the problem until yesterday.

Thankfully it appeared to be the plunger which was a quick and simple fix although it hasn't fully removed the issue and 1st/2nd are still a bit tricky some times.

I'll try the grub screw next but at least the vehicle is drivable once again

Thanks all :i-m_so_happy:

Harry