RV8 Starter Breather

On trial fitting my starter I noticed a hole on the block under the starter. It's a factory hole around 10mm, not something peculiar to my block as its brand new.

I made an enquiry over on the v8 forum and it was suggested that this should be extended to above the potential water line.

I was wondering if any RV8 owners know about this issue? Should this hole normally have a blanking plug in? Does this need to be a breather at all?

Don't know about the "Bosch" sump. What vehicle is that from? I know that the sump I have from an RRC doesn't cover it.

Having a quick look this morning I've found that it looks like part11 below

http://lrcat.com/#31/4/53348

Available from Rimmers

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-612898

What's worrying me now is that, seeing as I started with a brand new block, how many other things are missing? Kind of hard to check now the bellhousing is covering the rear of engine...

Alright lads. Alright..:) I reckon I will use the sump I have already. Can't imagine that alloy sump being too cheap. Certainly not as cheap as two 60p plugs..

Fingers crossed that there isn't anything important missing inside bellhousing..

No it wasn't a late block. Although it's brand new it isn't cross bolted.

Think I'll be ok once I plug those 2 holes. Just seen some pics showing rear of engine and I remember the big core plugs being in place.

Yep that's what I suspected Mickey. Haven't a clue why they're not there. Not only on my new block, but the one I linked a pic to as well.

Strange. Still. Glad I caught it. Don't fancy the thought of wading through deep mud with that bung not in place..

No, the dowels are still exposed with the sump on.

They might be locating dowels for part of the flywheel or torque converter cover. I can't remember without crawling under the car to look.

No no don't go crawling. I was just curious. I don't have an auto anyway :)

Well, next time I am nearly in that area.....i.e tomorrow night I will have a look anyway. I am curious now too. :)