Snow Chain Advice.

rrr47

I'm looking to make some snow chains and was wondering if any other members have advice to offer or suggestions. I will need 4 chains as my Range Rover has an auto locking central diff.

I'm not sure of the best size chain to use or how to fix it together.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Pete - that could be said of just about everything that people build on this forum. If they followed that advice there would likely be no forum!

I have no answers on the snow chain making front - but good luck if you go for it!

Si

Wasn't meant to offend Simon :blush: , just being realistic if there were an accident resulting from failure of materials at speed the insurance companies would have a field day. Even fitting certain mods or different wheels tyres can be enough to prevent your insurance paying out in case of a crash. The OP was asking about grades sizes of chain etc and was asking for advice or suggestions, my suggestion is to buy a type approved set and use them if needed. I'm the first to try and make/modify things but some things I know I'd personally leave well alone.

That being said I'm sure it can be done well with enough info, but for the time and energy involved is it worth it?.

I'm sure there will be more advice and suggestions, each to their own, and this is what makes the forum enjoyable and worthwhile ^_^

Pete

I made some chains for a ride on mower for snow ploughing , what a pita , getting it right for even that slow moving vehicle ended with a Mk 4 version . I used just a cheap link chain . For my 110 I bought them , as I value not damaging the wheel arches , and hanging onto my brake hoses. You need a supply of twist link chain in a tough grade of steel , thats the first problem , then working all the geometry , for tensioning etc Good luck

Thanks everyone for input.

The chain I have been considering is 6mm x 42mm, £25.00 for 10 metres.

But I think I have worked something out totally incorrect. If we say the circumference chain on each wheel is 27 inches in diameter, it's circumference length is 84.78 inches, 8 of these, 2 for each wheel, that's 678.24 inches of chain, or about 56 foot! Then the tread pieces, about 10 inches in length, 8 per wheel, by 4 wheels, another 320 foot of chain! So 1000 foot of chain!

Have I worked that out wrong???????????

10" x 8 X 4 = 320 inches, not feet. Probably 60 feet for everything. The side chains should be down on the side walls.

Really not worth it. The cross links have special ends to connect to the side chains. How are you going to connect the side chains to the cross links? The side chains have connectors and tensioners. Without these, they are a massice PITA to put on and take off.

Here in Canada, a pair of high quality chains with all the bits that will last a lifetime are around £50

Probably not. I used yards of the stuff and I bought it all from B&Q. It is an absolutely tedious job to do and I only made a pair. I used bungee cord to tension them.

You can buy a pair of ready made Chinese knock offs for about £40, If you keep your eyes open on ebay you get yourself a decent set even cheaper. I got a brand new pair for my wife's previous car for less than a fiver delivered.

Thanks Red90 and HoggyN, I thought of using a chain link cut and bent open, then connected, bent back into shape and welded to make the chains with 'D' clamps to fix onto car.

But I must admit, it seems a silly idea to make some.