diesel jim disc conversion

300Tdi master cylinder will not fit the older small diameter servo the mounting studs on the smaller servo for the master cylinder are not offset,

you would need the bigger diameter 300tdi servo as well, I retained the original master cylinder & haven't had any problems.

Hmmm I'll leave it as is to start with, see how it goes. I'm not looking for all out power, just more confidence in overall stopping ability and consistency..

Oh, and while I'm at it... Apparently there's a CAD file knocking about for the caliper spacer, anyone have a copy of this?

Edited by tommobot

I just drew round the caliper bracket, then cut 2 out of 6mm plate

https://www.lrdirect.com/ftc3306-brake-calmper-bracket-90

Looking at my notes i did change the servo (although it isn't any bigger) and the pedal assembly as the bolts for the servo housing won't line up either 🙂, looks like £70 for a salvage unit around 2 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I started putting a few bits together this evening, as bar a spacer I think / thought I have everything..

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but the thick spacer goes on, but I can only fit 1 lock nut thing on the stub axle thread. Looking back at the diesel Jim thread it looks like there's only 1 but I'd have expected 2?

I've only loosely bolted it together, so this may be wrong but it looks as if the caliper fits pretty much Bob on central over the disk? - this makes me thing I've overlooked something obvious here... Thoughts please..

IMG_20211202_220822853.jpg

IMG_20211202_220815440.jpg

IMG_20211202_214907193.jpg

IMG_20211202_220834902.jpg

So I've done a bit of research on the spacers, on other threads people have been using a spacer from an early def / RRC on the front hub that is 2ish mm thick, as opposed to the 5 or 6mm thick of the current rear spacer that I have..

I think / hope that will give me enough thread to lock the 2 nuts up.

Once I know it all fits I'll give it a proper bolt up and see where the caliper / disk sits for real..

Had another play around with this tonight. Got the thinner RRC spacer, the 2 lock nuts and spacer just about fits on the stub axle... With fresh grease and a good clean I'm sure it will go a little bit further.

The caliper however still seems to be sitting bang on, or there abouts at the moment.  Thought it would look obviously wayyyy out, but looks near perfect. Can't obviously see that I've done anything catastrophically stupid here!???🤔

IMG_20211208_214455878.jpg

IMG_20211208_215644896.jpg

IMG_20211208_215558293.jpg

IMG_20211208_215545334.jpg

IMG_20211208_215622187.jpg

I have no idea to be honest, the used discs can on the S/H front hubs I got hold of.

I've compared them against the new discs I have, and the looked pretty much the same at a reasonable glance.

The spare rear axle, calipers, pads and discs I have came from the previous owner of the car who was looking to undertake the conversion years ago..

Edit, just had a look in the shed, the rear calipers at STC 1269, the rear pad part numbers comes up correctly for a 110/130 but I can't find any documentaion on the discs.

If the front discs where a different spacing by its centre, and they lined through correctly, where the same thickness~ish and same diameter... realistically, why couldn't I use them instead? 🤔

Edited by tommobot

Been doing a bit of google, 

It looks like there is FTC3846 & FRC7329 which are both disks for a 110 but seem to change for the inclusion of ABS.

By all accounts there is an 8mm difference in the hat thickness - On this basis, everyone else doing the converison has been using the opposite disks to this (as if you were doing the converison you probably woulndt have ABS), hence the need for the spacer to push it over.

I would guess, my caliper would sit 2mm slightly to one side - I think... 🤔 maybe 😐...making my poor brain hurt.

2 hours ago, tommobot said:

Been doing a bit of google, 

It looks like there is FTC3846 & FRC7329 which are both disks for a 110 but seem to change for the inclusion of ABS.

By all accounts there is an 8mm difference in the hat thickness - On this basis, everyone else doing the converison has been using the opposite disks to this (as if you were doing the converison you probably woulndt have ABS), hence the need for the spacer to push it over.

I would guess, my caliper would sit 2mm slightly to one side - I think... 🤔 maybe 😐...making my poor brain hurt.

When I did mine I googled the part number and looked at images as the search results, some alterative suppliers post drawings of the part with the dish and diameter size.

So it looks like I was been a bit of a donkey.. suprise! 🤔

The discs were nudging onto the back of the caliper bracket, instead of sitting on the hub fully.

I've spaced out the caliper bracket (suprise suprise 6mm or so) and the disk fits on and misses the bracket, plently of the thread on the stub axle and now I'm happy, as this is how I thought it should be! 🙂

• Like 1