V6 Converted 90's

Adam - I still have the majority of the bits to megasquirt it - a V6 EDIS, coil pack, trigger wheel, VR sensor and the throttle body injection unit (plus a spare bare one TSD gave me to mock up with) - all you'd need to add would be a megasquirt... :)

If it's a route you want to go down I'd be happy to keep them for you, and prob lend a hand too!

• Like 1

Suspect I'm too far away for any direct help, but happy to help out with any questions or problems if I can. It was more than 10 years ago I converted mine, so I've forgotten a lot of things, but I still have the engine with all the efi hardware mounted on it, so can take pics or look at details if required.

(And yes, EP90 is my rather out of date website :ph34r: )

I'll send you a text/WhatsApp at some point about the parts Jon! It'll finally be getting some paint next week by the way :D.

TSD, I was actually trying to find a way to contact you through your website ^_^ . If you do have any pictures floating around I'd certainly appreciate seeing them. No need to go out of your way though.

No problem Adam :)

I'll likely be down at my parents at some point in the near future as we are going to be doing yet another transfer box swap before my hols. You are more than welcome to call by for a cuppa, the 110 is megasquirted already and the setup would be reasonably similar...

If you just went with spark to start with it would actually be pretty easy to do - and can be swapped back to dizzy control in about 5 mins so easy to tinker with...

Great to hear it's getting a respray BTW - that's the only thing that really let it down! Are you sticking withe the NATO green satin & black? How far are you taking it - inside and out? :)

I may have to drop by :)

An old work mate of mine has done a megasquirt build on his kit car with a bike engine so I may try and get hold of him for some information too.

I'm sure I'd be able to figure it out if I read up properly but with my current job and having a wedding to plan I barely have any time hah.

Sadly it's a roller job rather than spray but we'll be doing it over the space of a week (assuming we get decent weather) and will be stripping every hanging panel off rather than leaving it all together.

Jess loves RAF Blue/Grey so we'll be doing that.

I have seen a couple of threads on roller jobs so have decided that with it being so cheap it's worth a shot.

I may do the inside, depends on if I can be bothered :hysterical:

I'll let you know when I have the times sorted out...

As long as you do the prep well it will look a lot better than it does at the moment - the previous owner paid about £200 for the whole spray job, so I think it was just blasted over the top of the yellow that was already there, with minimal sanding! Explains why it's not that great around the edges!

Sounds good Jon!

We'll be prepping it as best we can, I'll buy a tin of primer too. I've got a feeling that a lot of the yellow wasn't sanded back at all. I wash it every at times and plenty of glossy yellow is now on show :wacko:.

It gives me a reason to tidy the door bottoms anyway. I think whilst the wings are off I'll give the engine bay a good clean out too.

TSD, I was actually trying to find a way to contact you through your website ^_^ . If you do have any pictures floating around I'd certainly appreciate seeing them. No need to go out of your way though.

I'm constantly surprised how many people find me and send question, when I deliberately didn't put any contact details there :rofl:

I'm sure I've got more photos and notes that I never put up on the web; when I have some time I'll take a look. In the meantime, PM me with any specifics.

Just for interest, here's a couple of images I found the other day...

This is a comparison between the Ford published figures for the 3.1 (and the Broadspeed Supercharged version), and my hybrid when still running on carb and dizzy. the curve was generated by a bit of commercial software, using road speed data gathered by recording the ignition pulses into the laptop as a .wav file. Didn't expect or need any accuracy, I was more interested in repeatability, so it could be used for tuning. The notable bit is the agreement in shape between the measured data and Fords own.

essex_dyno.png

The second was the same data (or same method anyway) processed in a homebrew program and Excel, to show the acceleration through the gears. Note that if you habitually run your Essex out to 5500 through the gears, expect to need new big ends and mains in short order :hysterical:

essex_excel.png

Well I wasn't trying to start a p1551ng competition, just putting some very old notes up for interest value.

1) I dropped the clutch fairly gently at 1500rpm, it should be obvious I wasn't trying to set a land speed record.

2) I made no claims (other hand a scrawl on my original paperwork) but I published some data. So often, it's the other way around.

Interesting graphs TSD :)

I rarely run it as high as 5000rpm haha. The highest I usually go is 4k if I ever have to get to speed on the motorway slip road ^_^, other than that it trundles along as 2500rpm most days.