auto box fill

greyleaf

Hi,

I changed the oil and filter on my auto box 2 weeks ago.

I was on my own when I filled it using a pressurised pump.

Process was fill box till bead of oil runs out, then start

engine whilst filling box run thro the gears,box back in 'P', get back under car engine still running wait till bead of oil running out, fit plug.Trouble was oil was gushing out must have lost about 1 lr.

Am I doing something wrong or do I need another person to run thro the gears, while I watch the oil?

Graham

I think technically you need to have someone do the gears while you fill. It's a crappy idea..

Now, I had this happen, and it was the oil cooler pipe leaking and allowing aeration of the oil, this meant that the oil was more volumous and so ran out. After a bit of experience and reading about, it seems the passenger (UK) side cooler pipe is a a bugger for leaking, breaking and generally ruining a good day. So I'd check that first.

Second, If you want to avoid the issue, obtain a P38 auto box dipstick and sump and do a swap over, you can then fill and check from the comfort of the engine bay. I have one on the kitchen counter ready to fit, I robbed the sump from a mate, and made a temporary dipstick, but it's a bit rubbish.

To be fair, on the V8 I had, the drain refill went easy and got the right level and the box was happy as afterwards, but the TD5 has been a bugger. Ashcroft are sending one out to me this week to replace. Those pipes are majorly suspect on all D2s AFAIK.

Teabag, you fill it in neutral because the pump is "free-wheeling" and not required to apply any pressure to any of the gear the clutches or to the centrifugal governor, if the sump is partially empty and you have the gearbox in Park the pump will be trying to supply oil to first gear, not a good thing and burnt clutches could be the end result.

In Neutral, the pump is simply circulating the oil to all the internal components. Once it's at the "Full" mark on the dip-stick you apply the brake and select first, then second etc. ( hold it for a few seconds in each selected gear) and recheck the oil level to ensure that the transmission oil is still at the full point, it may drop slightly due to the selection of the gears.

Teabag, you fill it in neutral because the pump is "free-wheeling" and not required to apply any pressure to any of the gear the clutches or to the centrifugal governor, if the sump is partially empty and you have the gearbox in Park the pump will be trying to supply oil to first gear, not a good thing and burnt clutches could be the end result.

In Neutral, the pump is simply circulating the oil to all the internal components. Once it's at the "Full" mark on the dip-stick you apply the brake and select first, then second etc. ( hold it for a few seconds in each selected gear) and recheck the oil level to ensure that the transmission oil is still at the full point, it may drop slightly due to the selection of the gears.

This is why there was a warning note stating 'leave the box in neutral' when idling was in my old 3.5s owners handbook, although there's no mention now in the disco's owners handbook but it's something I still do if I ever leave the engine idling for more than a few minutes, a habit I've retained after 27 years of LR auto ownership plus a modern car I also drive now along with the disco.

So do know the procedure in checking the fluid level, I've never had to refill the box though.