Wheels and tyre help

Hi guys

Basically about to spend a lot of money on wheels and tyres and I want to make sure they are right

I want the biggest I can get without having to put bigger arches on (don't like the look of them)

I'm was going to get 15x10 steel rims with 33/1250r15 AT tyres but I think these will be out of the arch slightly

I've now seen online some 31/1050r15 tyres

Would these be a better fit for me? Would they still go on the 10x15 rims?

I don't mind if they are ever so slightly out of the arches I just don't want to take the tiddle with them

Any help would be great thanks

I've got 285/75r16 BFG MT2's on 8x16 modulars on my 90. They just stay within the arches. They're 32.8" high and 11.22" wide, in theory. The offset on the wheels still gives a decent steering lock.

I've got 285/75r16 BFG MT2's on 8x16 modulars on my 90. They just stay within the arches. They're 32.8" high and 11.22" wide, in theory. The offset on the wheels still gives a decent steering lock.

This is about the widest you can go without wider arches or reduced steering lock. You could get 35/11.50x 16 under the arches but then you run into gearing issues.

Mike

Bugger!!! Just typed out a long reply and it got nuked!!!

Will summarise.

Op, there is a lot to learn about tyres, rims and sizing. It's well worth going and reading up on it all. Big tyres will make your gearing taller, so can effect performance. And you'll run more risk of breaking axles and diffs.

Tyres don't have to be wide and tall, you can have either or. Tyres that stick out of the arches are technically illegal under Construction & Use regs. And they will throw mud/dirt up the side of the vehicle more so.

A 33.11.50R15 on a 15x10 rim should fit on a standard 90. But will rub under articulation. Suspension and wheel spat condition will vary how bad this is.

Tyre type, MT, AT or aggressive MT will vary how big the tyre might be, even with the same sizing. And different brands are not always equal either.

Standard size tyres are:

-7.50 16

-235/85R16

-265/75R16

-31/10.50R15

Ones that will fit:

-825 16

-255/85R16

-285/75R16

-33.11.50R16

There are many 33" sized tyres, in 10.5", 11.5" and 12.5" widths, most on 15" rims, some on 16" rims. Not all are equal.

Visually and gearing wise, a 31.10.50 is a lot smaller compared to a 33".

But it depends what you want to do with the vehicle and the look you are after.

Personally I think a 255/85R16 is one of the nicest sizes to consider. Tall, not too wide, will look good and perform well on British mud.

Here are some examples to help you out:

Proper narrow 7.50's on custom 16x6.5 rims

IMG_9015%20Large.jpg

IMG_9016%20Large.jpg

IMG_9072%20Large.jpg

31.10.50R15 on 15x8

IMG_7707%20Large.jpg

IMG_9233%20Large.jpg

IMG_9232%20Large.jpg

IMG_5986Medium.jpg

IMG_5985Medium.jpg

825 R16

IMG_9411%20Large.jpg

Wide 7.50 R16's on 16x6.5 rims (these are more like a 235 width)

IMG_9221%20Large.jpg

IMG_6161Medium.jpg

IMG_6138Medium.jpg

235/85R16 most on 16x7 rims or 16x8

IMG_9227%20Large.jpg

IMG_9068%20Large.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

Some fat tall 235's

IMG_8117.jpg

IMG_8116.jpg

IMG_6162Medium.jpg

7.50 on 16x7

IMG_8103%20Large.jpg

33.11.50R15 on 15x10 rims

IMG_5994Medium.jpg

IMG_5988Medium.jpg

IMG_5990Medium.jpg

DSC_0361Large.jpg

DSC_0363Large.jpg

265/75R16 on 16x8

IMG_9164%20Large.jpg

IMG_9163%20Large.jpg

The bf Goodrich tyres I want come in 33/12.5/15 r and I have the choice of 15x 10 or 15x8 Rims

The guy advised me that 10's will come out the arch and 8's will rub slightly on full lock

I'm thinking of just going for the 10's and hoping they don't stick out too much

Thanks for all that info that has helped a lot you wouldn't happen to have any pics of the 33/12.5/15 on 10 and 8 inch rim??

I'd second a 255/85-16. I think they are a perfect compromise if you don't want to go all gung-ho and start seriously modifying your car. They roughly equate to a 33x10x16 if you want to use that sizing. Being narrower than a 285 or 12.5 means fewer hassles and the height is very useful. I have a set of BFG mud terrains in that size which are about to go on their fourth vehicle (a very hard wearing tyre!) and have loved them.

Sorry, don't have that specific size.

BTW rim width is only part of it, you need to know the offset too. If they reckon an 8" rim will rub on lock, then the 10" will too.

I suspect the closest of my pics are the 33.11.50's, those are aggressive Simex Jungle Tekker II's on there. Against the tape measure they are almost 34" tall. I think the rims have a 4.5" front dish on them. Which means they have an offset of approx 12ET or thereabouts.

On full lock they will rub the radius arms. I sometimes have run them with 1" spacers, you can then get full lock with the steering stops removed. But they do stick out of the arches.

According to BFG their 33.12.50R15's measure 32.8" tall:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/mud-terrain-t-a-km2-tires#techspecs

According to the datasheet they do offer a 33.10.50R15 which is still 32.8" tall. But narrower and would even fit on a 7" wide rim. These would be a better fit on a Defender IMO.

Word of warning. BFG specify an 8.5"-11" wide rim for the 33.12.50's. This means fitting them to a 15x8 rim is actually illegal for road use. Should you be in an accident and this was spotted, then you could put yourself in some bother.

They do list a 32.11.50 that'll fit on a 8" wide rim.

One last thing. I personally like the look of the BFG MT, it's what I call a proper all terrain/do anything/go anywhere tyre. But in a large size like a 33.12.50, don't expect it to be steller off road. It'll work well on dry baked mud, rocks and sand. But good old wet/damp British mud or muddy grass it's a bit too fat and will float on top and doesn't have aggressive enough lugs to cut through. A 235/85 in the same tread patter will likely work a lot better in these conditions.

ok i seem to be confusing myself more and more. at a guess what would you say those wheels and tyres were on that silver defender i posted eariler?

They look wide, so probably a 12.50 or maybe a 305 (think 305/70R16 is a size you see sometimes). They look like they stick out of the arches though. Not a huge amount, depends if it bothers you or not. Just bear in mind what I said about C&U Regs.

Impossible to tell what rims it is on, or if it's running wheel spacers.

Most LR rims in the UK are 16", all factory options are. So if it's on 16" LR steel or alloys, then technically a 305/70R16 is ok with an 8" wide rim. Although with any factory rim you'll be running wheel spacers to get than track/stance.

Aftermarket rims might have enough offset.

If they are 33.12.50R15's, then they'll be on some kind of aftermarket rim as LR don't do 15" rims in the UK. As I said, BFG says min is 8.5" rim, so should technically be on an 8" rim.

I have 35x12.50 R15s fitted on 15"8 rims, they are BF Goodrich MTs

Any tyre which is over 11" wide is going to foul the radius arms (suspension) on full steering lock OR if the wheel has enough offset that it provides clearance on full lock then the tyre will stick out of the standard wheel arch.

The tallest widest tyre that will comfortably fit on a Defender is the 255/85 R16 (metric size) which is equivalent to a 33 10.50 R15.

This size is the best height to width compromise as they are fairly tall but shouldn't rub when your suspension is articulating whilst driving off road, and also they won't rub whilst steering or stick out of the arches.

What do you want the tyres for? Is it for offroad use or purely because you like the look?

I suggest you look on tyreleader.com for BF Goodrich tyres as they were far cheaper than anywhere else when I bought mine last year

do you have any pictures of your 33's on 8"rims by any chance? if you could take one in line with the body so I can see where it is to the standard arch that would be a lot of help!

with regards to what I want them for I do occasionally go off road but its more for looks I don't drive very hard off road only some midly damp fields and ruts nothing that should be too much for any wheel.

do you have any pictures of your 33's on 8"rims by any chance? if you could take one in line with the body so I can see where it is to the standard arch that would be a lot of help!

8" rims on there own won't change where the outer edge of the tyre will be. You need to know the offset. The offset is where the rim is, in relation to the nave plate of the rim.

with regards to what I want them for I do occasionally go off road but its more for looks I don't drive very hard off road only some midly damp fields and ruts nothing that should be too much for any wheel.

The BFG's will probably be fine for this, but such a wide tyre, expect the steering to be less good, more wobbly and a wide tyre will probably have a negative affect on mpg.

IMAG1742_1.jpg

285/75x16 (33") bfg muds (km2) on 16x8 modular rims with standard height suspension they rubbed the rear at full articulation now sorted with a 2" lift they sit inline with the arches. If they were on land rover offset (though lr wheels aren't wide enough) they would be inside the arch but you would loose steering lock and the stops need adjusting to stop rubbing on radius arms.

Mike

Here is a 255/85-16 on the back of my 110. It's the same width and diameter, near enough, as a 33-10.5-15 or 33-10.5-16. Don't bother with a 15 inch rim, it's just a hassle unless you are making an off-road monster. Standard Land Rovers work better with a narrower tyre in most cases, so you're really better with a 10 inch wide tyre than a 12 inch. Drag/fuel economy and steering on the road are all better with a narrower tyre too.

post-57097-0-18858800-1437517600_thumb.jpg

IMAG1742_1.jpg

285/75x16 (33") bfg muds (km2) on 16x8 modular rims with standard height suspension they rubbed the rear at full articulation now sorted with a 2" lift they sit inline with the arches. If they were on land rover offset (though lr wheels aren't wide enough) they would be inside the arch but you would loose steering lock and the stops need adjusting to stop rubbing on radius arms.

Mike

Looks good.

Curious, what sort of lift did you give it? As the only way to stop it rubbing via the suspension, would be by reducing up travel, or at least not gaining any extra travel. A 2" lift on it's own would still have the same up travel.

Whilst in theory you are correct to get a 2" lift the springs need to be either 2" longer or stiffer so this limits up travel whether you like it or not. So technically I should still rub without putting longer bump stops on however in reality I can't compress the springs to the point where they rub any more.

Mike