Td5 Tyre Size

Mudslinger

Hi all. I've recently scrapped my old 300tdi discovery and replaced it with a pre face lift Td5 which is sitting on some worn but usable 255/55/18 Falken road biased tyres. Shortly before i scrapped the 300 i bought 4 brand new 235/85/16 BFG AT's for it and when i scrapped it, i rescued them.

I know the modular wheels i had them on WONT fit the Td5 hubs but if i was to buy a set of 16 inch disco 2 wheels, would i have to make any modifications to get them to fit the newer disco. I have done a fair amount of searching and come up blank so far.

My friend did exactly that, bought a set of disco 2 16" alloys, and used his old 235/70r16 tyres off the scrapped disco 1.

He was told when enquiring about the wheels that 16" d2 alloys are hard to fine because of this, however I remembered someone had a set he picked up for £50!

!6'' Disco 2 wheels are standard.

So as long as the tyre width is similar you should be ok.

Mine has Range rover wheels on and 255/55/18 A/Ts on.

ride is a lot bumpier with these on as opposed to the 16'' wheel/tyre combo.

But the only off-road it gets is down my mates farm track

Hi all. I've recently scrapped my old 300tdi discovery and replaced it with a pre face lift Td5 which is sitting on some worn but usable 255/55/18 Falken road biased tyres. Shortly before i scrapped the 300 i bought 4 brand new 235/85/16 BFG AT's for it and when i scrapped it, i rescued them.

I know the modular wheels i had them on WONT fit the Td5 hubs but if i was to buy a set of 16 inch disco 2 wheels, would i have to make any modifications to get them to fit the newer disco. I have done a fair amount of searching and come up blank so far.

This depends what you want to achieve.

The reality is, no they probably aren't quite a direct fit. You might get them in the arches, but you will have clearance issues. If it's purely on road use, you might get away with it, but suspect probably not. For off road use however you'll need to do something.

Option 1:

Lift it. Although under suspension compression you might still have clearance issues. And while lifting a vehicle is perfectly fine, it can very easily be done badly and actually lessen the ability on and off road.

Option 2:

Trim the arches. It sounds brutal, but is a cheap and effective way to make room for bigger tyres. I haven't done this to a D2, but have to a D1. You can buy aftermarket wheel spat/flare kits too.

Option 3:

Mixture of the both.

With regard to rims. This again depends what you want to achieve. Stock alloys will work, but won't give you the best steering lock. And taller tyres will make it worse than stock. As rule, most people try to move the wheels outwards to give a wider track. You can do this via wheel spacers, or by different offset rims.

Silverline make some 16" steels for the D2, think they are £50-60/each that will give a better offset and allow more steering lock.

I use 235/85 x 16 tyres when off-roading our D2.

I think you'd have significant tyre rubbing unless the vehicle is lifted 2 inches & you modify the front bumper.

On our pre-facelift I had to remove (cut-off) the the lower part where the fog lights are to avoid contact with the tyres.The front section of the inner wheel arch liner also had to be cut shorter & pulled forwards to avoid tyre rubbing at full lock.

The 235/85's are approx 2.5inch larger diameter than the stock tyres - so they'll contact the front radius arms with much less steering lock than standard.You can add wheel spacers or increased offset wheels to get some steering lock back - although at the rear I'm not sure if you'll end up with tyre contact with the wheel arches at full articulation with spacers / increased offset (mine just clear with standard offset wheels at the rear. I use spacers on the front).

You can get increased offset modular steel wheels from Paddocks for less than £40 each including the special steel wheel nuts.

Because of the tyre height, if you have the increased wheel offset & you use full articulation off-road, the tyres will also rub the outer edge of the front inner wheel arch liner - even with the 2 inch lift.

Gearing is different with the 235/85's - approx 10% higher than standard - so you need to remember you're speedo will under-read by that amount.

Acceleration in higher gears will also suffer due to the higher gearing & unless the engine is tuned you might even find you need to drop out of 5th on uphill sections of road dependant on what speed you like to cruise at.

Surprisingly on ours it's exactly 10% low vs our sat-nav's gps accurate speed.

Paul

2001 D2 TD5

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info folks. I'll be fitting a 2 inch lift via terrafima spacer blocks so that i can retain the SLS. Additionally i will be using offset modular wheels to try and counter the reduced steering lock. As for the gearing issue, it pulls better than i expected so i can live with reduced acceleration. The speedo over reads slightly anyway so it might correct itself.