Milemarker hydraulic winch - pneumatic free spool

Looking for a bit of help. Recently purchased a milemarker hydraulic winch. Looking to make the speed control and free spool all pneumaticlly operated. I have watched the video on you tube and found the original thread on here but I wanted some help in which size Rams are required and where I can get these from. Any help would be much appreciated. The winch I have is the same as in the video. Many thanks Ben

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F2yhmmQHBos&feature=youtu.be

Don't know about sizes but it looks like they're using camozzi parts (italian). They're available from fluid air power along with lots of other places. Smc (japanese) are also good from rs or any pneumatics place. Or ebay if you want Chinese stuff for 1/3 the price.

For bore use a spring balance to determine the force required to move the parts then use this as a guide

http://www.airlines-pneumatics.co.uk/tools-cylinder_forces.asp

(My tds is about 20kg so i'll go 32mm +)

For stroke just measure how far you need thongs to move.

For body type and male / female thread just pick what suits you.

I made a batch of these for FirstFour:

[image]http://www.firstfour.co.uk/graphics/products/cache/s_700_500_mqlr0s.jpg[/image]

Unfortunately, they didn't sell well enough for them to order a second batch.

Wired to an on off on switch it gave High, Low & Freespool with only two, 3 port valves and stopped you engaging the 'illegal' state where the gearbox is locked. It worked extremely well!

You never know, they may still have some in stock!

Si

Got your pm. For the high gear we machined an internal boss to screw onto an off the shelf ram. Can't remember the thread but easy to work out. For the low gear I got one from saley as his winches use the same system.

His high gear mechanism will work as well.

G

I did the same as House Of Flying Spanners on Petal and used bike gear change levers. I fancied the first4x4 kit, but I don't have air on board, so I decided against.

The basic design of mine was to drill and tap the old levers so we can easily revert to standard if the cable breaks. If you did that you could run standard air Rams? No need to strip the winch then :)

The firstfour kit does not require any modification of the winch other than removing the two roll pins that hold the levers in place. The same pins are used to attach the actuators.

You could do the same with standard rams with some simple adaptors.

Si